squeaking distributor

My '95 YJ developed a squeak in the distributor. It used to come and go for about the last month but lately has been almost constant. The strange thing is that if I press down on the hold-down screw towads the rear of the engine or on the cap near the plug wire that is toward the rear and closest to the engine, it squeaks more and louder. When I press opposite that wire or in general on the side away from the engine the squeak goes away. Nothing feels loose. Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks

Reply to
nrs

Yes. I also spayed some WD 40 in there but it didn't change anything. Thanks

Reply to
neale_rs

I've had poorly made off-brand parts that don't fit right, have made knocking noises and just plain didn't make good sparks.

Try a different brand or cap and rotor.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

I'm gonna say the shaft bushings are going south. My kid's '95 4 cyl is doing the same thing, but it's bad enough you can actually see the dist moving around as the engine runs. New dist is only like $50(called O'Reilly's, haven't see it yet)but for that price I'm not sure if you get the cam sensor with it or not. Heck, I figure the old sensor is still good, since the Jeep still runs.

Reply to
Old Crow

So it should have practically no play? It does have some play but it runs well. I'm going to put the old cap and rotor back on just to see what happens but I think the distributor will most likely need to be replaced. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
neale_rs

Bushing goign.

Fairly easy to replace. I did mine a few years back. Here is the write-up.

DougW

Thanks for the link. Doesn't look too bad and it seems that prices have not gone up on that part.

Reply to
neale_rs

One thing to check first. Take the cap off and try to move the rotor from side to side. It should not have any play at all. There also shouldn't be any oil in the base of the distributor.

It's a fairly easy procedure. Just remember to mark where the rotor is pointing and not to turn the engine with the distributor out.

One more thing. It is possible that the new distibutor will not want to slide in easily. This is usually the oil pump slot. Look down the hole and you will see it. This has to line up with the tab on the end of the distributor shaft. Usually a bit of wiggle gets it in, but sometimes I have had to nudge it a bit with a long screwdriver. It doesn't matter how that slot is oriented as long as it connects with the distributor shaft. (of course the distributor won't seat if the tab isn't in.)

Reply to
DougW

Just an update: Put in a new distributor and the squeak is gone. Also, quite a while back, somebody from this group mentioned that a slight hesitation when accelerating from an upshift could be caused by the distributor. They were right, the slight hesitation is gone and the Jeep seems to run better in general. Thanks to all for your help.

Reply to
neale_rs

Just an update: Put in a new distributor and the squeak is gone. Also, quite a while back, somebody from this group mentioned that a slight hesitation when accelerating from an upshift could be caused by the distributor. They were right, the slight hesitation is gone and the Jeep seems to run better in general. Thanks to all for your help.

Kinda funny. A couple of weeks ago I told my kid that the dist in his '95 YJ was shot. He bought a new one and I replaced it. Damn Jeep wouldn't run, and when it did finally start it had no power. I double checked that I hadn't put it in a tooth or more off, tried changing out the cam sensor in case the new one was bad, and finally gave up and put the old dist. back in. Jeep runs fine with the old dist. He's gonna try again in a week or so, and said they had no problem taking the faulty part back.

Reply to
Old Crow