Stabilizer bar-"link" need to replace?

Hello all My stabilizer link on the passenger side is broken. My service manual says I need a special tool to fix it. Is it easy to replace it? Can I do it myself? Thanks in advance Regards Frank Lousy mechanic, Terrible carpenter, worse plummer.

Reply to
FrankW

I just replaced mine on my '02 TJ. The bottom of the link unbolts easily, but the top of the link is cone shaped so it is jammed into the stabilizer bar. After removing the top nut, I used a tie rod separator tool that worked for me. I'm not sure if this is the correct tool but it worked.

It has a "U" shaped end and a long handle. I jammed the "U" shaped end between the bottom of the stabilizer bar and the top of the link.where they connect. The leverage on the tool was enough to break the two apart. Then you just bolt the new link on and tighten securely.

Got the tie rod separator tool for a few bucks at my local auto parts store.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I just had the same piece break on my 97 TJ. You might as well install some quick disconnects instead of the stock links. My local dealer quoted me $55 or so for one stock link and I was able to buy Teraflex QDs for $95 pair from Bob Supplee (you can search RAMJW for his contact info). I used a ball joint separator to remove the old working link end. The broken link had the ball seperate from the joint and the puller I had was to large for the piece that was left. I cut off the bolt side and drilled it out, then I was able to hammer the piece out with a punch. If it doesn't come out easily then just take the 5 minutes to remove the entire sway bar so you don't have to monkey around with it under the Jeep. Minus travel time for broken drill bits I had the old pieces off and the new QDs on in a little more 2 hours. I am not all that mechanically inclined so if I can do that job anyone can. There are other good QDs beside the Teraflex, just do a little searching on google. It was just the verdict I reached after a few hours of reading the posts from the wise elders on RAMJW.

freak

Reply to
freakshow77

snipped-for-privacy@ionet.net 405-799-8977

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
RoyJ

Get the stocks then buy a pin to replace the lower bolt. Drill a hole in on end of the pin to slide a cotter pin through to hold it in place. I've seen those on eBay for $15 or so. You can build them for less than $5.

Now your stock links are QDs. I would've done that if I hadn't found mine for less than half price.

Eric

Reply to
Eric