Starter interlock question

I should have said 'toward the radiator' or some such thing; mechanic's perspective is always from a standing position in front of the vehicle looking at the windshield.

Haven't driven in sub-zero temps in quite a while, but I do remember my old '63 Dart slant-6 with that lovable 3-on-the-tree that was HELL to shift on a cold morning. Never had trouble cranking it though. Most everything I've driven in the last couple of decades used ATF in the tranny, which shifts nicely regardless of ambient temp. Don't know what the 6 in my TJL uses, but knowing DC, it won't be ATF.

I should probably qualify the original intent as more of a convienence than mechanical neccessity. If thrust and TO bearing failure was truly a problem due to clutch disengagement while dry firing the engine, Jeep would discontinue the clutch interlock circuit in a heartbeat.

Those concerns aside, it's NICE having it disconnected. Spent 4 hours yesterday purging all that dreaded Dex Cool, and being able to just reach in through the window to start 'er up was damn convienent.

Will H> I think you got the direction of the load bass-ackwards - pushing on

Reply to
JD Adams

JD Adams

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You'll really appreciate the difference the first time you have to use the starter to motor youself into some place you can work when the engine floods or just plain quits.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey JD -

Had a 96 that wasn't connected, now have a 98 Cherokee w/ it connected. Crawled underneath the dash today... lo and behold... taped next to the connector, was a spare connector half w/ a wire running between the 2 points...

Just unhooked the one half, threw in this half. I was just going to wire it like you - but it looks like DC had already thought of it. Funny that the connector was taped next to it - not complaing though :) So I guess that's DC's official fix :))

Paul

Reply to
Paw

Like when you break down on the level crosssing and you hear "whooooooooo" :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne