88 Fox Transmission Removal

i have two 88 VW fox's. Trying to remove the tranny from one and get it into the other.. does anyone have any words of advice and or know where a man can get a manual book ( local places don't have any for that year, say they don't make em)

even if someone knows where to find a diagram of the whole under neath of the car...\

thanks

Reply to
knobzy

88 fox service manual $40.

Reply to
samstone

Bentley manual $30.36 from Amazon.com with free shipping

EBay.com might have one also

Hmmm from memory (I also need a new clutch in my '83 Audi 4000s = same thing) Briefly............ Loosen outer CV joint nuts and front wheel lug bolts then lift entire vehicle After you SAFELY support the vehicle high enough and check to make sure your engine's front mount close to the V-Belts is good. REMOVE: neg. cable on battery half axles (should require wheel removal and lower ball joint removal from strut housings) exhaust from exhaust manifold back (yours is pretty easy if the nuts loosen and don't snap off) lower trans cover unbolt starter (it might be able to hang there if it's front bolt is there) shifter linkage on transmission (long bolt going through linkage and stabilizing rod on trans) Note: This is the time to check on those linkage bushings! Clutch cable Speedo cable Reverse light switch wires Remove all trans/engine bolts and nuts (moving the steering left or right can help) Note that the neg battery cable is secured by one of these bolts! (clean up cable end for good ground) Support the trans with a trans jack or some other device so it can be lowered and raised and shifted around. (I use my floor jack and some wood, but this can be dangerous so you are on you own here) Rear trans mount & bracket (watch it since some gear lube might come out when you remove the bracket bolts) Ensure that nothing else will hold the trans. from being lowered safely. (You may have to pull up a bracket and that neg cable and secure them up and out of the way.) Lower trans (moving the steering left or right can help)

REVERSE TO INSTALL except you might want to bolt the trans up to the engine before you secure the trans mount.

ADD: Remove clutch components including throwout bearing, pilot bearing and rear engine seal. Resurface flywheel, degrease and install new degreased clutch components but grease pilot bearing and trans. input shaft and splines. Note: some recommend purchasing new Pressure Plate bolts

I think that is about it so if I missed something please someone add to this! ;-) Oh and it is about a 4-5 hour total job if you work steadily. I will do mine in the springtime when it is a lot warmer!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Consider getting all the nylon bushings for the shift linkage while you got it apart. See the manual on how to adjust the shifter linkage. Check condition of the clutch, clutch disc, and throwout bearing. Same with CV joints. The Bentley manual is the best you're gonna do. Not perfect, and may leave important details out in text. Pictorials tend to do that as well. 88 Fox GL wagon here, and I have the Bentley manual for it.

The bright light indicator LED in the dash is hard to find replacement. TX state inspectors won't pass the car if it don't work.

Reply to
Noncompliant

none2u

snip