390 or 428/9

I am looking for big block motor to drop into my 67 Fastback. does anyone know of one/some in the northern Missouri area, say about 150 miles from St Joseph, MO?

thanks bob

Reply to
bob

Have you researched this swap?

Reply to
CobraJet

Lot's of things are different for the big block version, but I've got a

1967 GTA 390 convertible in my garage right now that is factory.

Give serious consideration to springs, brakes (mine has dual caliper discs in the front) rear end (9-inch) etc. C4 doesn't cut it either. The C6 in mine also uses a different driveshaft. It is not trivial to do.

-- Herb Stein The Herb Stein Group

snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

314 952-4601
Reply to
Herb Stein

Nice.

Good, just checking. Every so often someone comes along who is contemplating this swap without knowing the extent of the equipment needed.

I can't help you with a core. There are some around here (AZ), but it's a tad out of your way.

CobraJet alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury

Reply to
CobraJet

Reply to
Gordo

yes, I have done some research on this project, that part never seems to be completed, does it? I figured that a 390 being a factory option in 67 I could use the same front end parts, or I have looked into some custom after market upgrades. I have already upgraded the brakes to Baer setup, already have a 9" under it, I may or may not have to regear it, either way that is not that big of a deal. I kind of figured that the driveshaft would have to be custom made, all I need is the front yoke to get that done. Still not sure if I want an auto or man transmission.

Inputs? ? ? ?

right now I have a 289 punch and stroked to the limit and I want some more power to the rear wheels. I love that feeling that only a big block can provide.

Reply to
bob

One overlooked part is the shock tower reinforcement brackets that appeared on the later big block cars. Big inchers or aggressive small inchers with sticks have a habit of cracking the metal low on the tower. Factory CJ driveshafts were 3" in diameter, larger than normal. Aluminum units will lighten rotational mass. Clutch equalizer bars are unique to FE's, and need to be reinforced for high-rate pressure plates (so does the equalizer-to-fork rod). Accelerator shaft assembly (the linkage bolted to the firewall that the carb rod attaches to) is different for a Big Block. More leaf springs or traction device. Discard wimpy aftermarket cup holder and order man-size square 750ml bottle holder from Jack Daniel's Distillery. I have their number on my speed dial if you need it.

Right now the easiest way into the 7-litre club for FE, aside from lucking onto a 428 or 410, is utlilizing a 360/390 block with a Scat 4

1/8" crank, giving you 431 inches of undersquare stump puller. C6-R heads are the sneaky plan for yanking good heads out from under an unsuspecting junkyard owner. C8-H can still work fine. Remember, there were no bad FE heads. (Also remember, pre-66 blocks have a different motor mount casting, but they can still work. They also have better "standard" category heads). If you go 429/460, Crites has most of the parts for the swap.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet