Strong Bumpers

Are any of the front or rear jeep bumpers you can buy as strong as one would be if you made it out of 1/8, or 1/4 thick 6x6 angle iron. I would like something a bullet proof as possible. Most of them in the jeep books dont seem to be made out of stock as thick as 1/8, or 1/4 steel. I dont care how heavy it is as long as it could stop someone who hit me from doing damage to the jeep.

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin did pass the time by typing:

What model of Jeep?

Lots of bumpers exist made of heavy gauge steel or aluminium.

Reply to
DougW

99 TJ
Reply to
Kevin

Check this one out ...

... a pic I tookin Oz just south of Canberra. Hey ... if it keeps the kangas away, might bejust what you're looking for.

Reply to
bowgus

Loooks like it would have no problem passing the strong test.

Reply to
Kevin

They call those things a "RooBar" and when you get out into the country areas you do see a lot of those around. And those el Camino cars are very popular there as well.

Reply to
fletcher

Keep in mind that there is a certain point where making a stronger bumper doesn't do any good. Any shock loads are just transfered to the frame which bends and/or crumples.

Any SWB jeep hit hard in the rear usually winds up with the arch over the rear wheels bent more than it used to be. Hitting it hard in the front usually means it gets one side or the other, the hit side moves back and the the crossmembers no longer are at

90 degrees to the frame rails. If you hit something hard with the front, the frame rails will be bent up or down depending on whether you go over or under the main support on the vehicle you hit.

If you use some monster bumper on the front and hit a tree, the bumper may be unscathed but the frame will just collapse. (like it should to protect YOU!)

Reply to
Roy J

You don't want it too strong or you will end up with a perfect bumper and a bent chassis. The shock has to go somewhere.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne