Rust prevention

The sunroof on my SD1 is fairly rotten. It's a single skin of steel on a pressed steel frame, and it has rusted from the inside out, apparently from where the frame traps water. They're not available new, but I've found a good secondhand one. In the wrong colour, of course. What would be the definitive way to treat it against future rust before passing it on to the bodyshop for spraying in the correct colour?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get it galvanised.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Risk of distortion on such a rare item?

How about this outfit?

Willy Eckerslyke

Well you'd want somewhere that had a clue or the surface finish would be dreadfull

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There's a company used by the classic fraternity which applies modern anti-corrosion techniques to bodyshells. Now its aimed at complete shells but they should be able to do individual bits. Not cheap but then again, neither is replacing a sunroof every few years. They do a zinc phosphate with an electrophoretic immerisoin coating and that'll not rot for many a year to come.

SPL - 01384 242010

Conor

Ah, just posted the same.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks, Conor, I'll get in touch with them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ballpark figure - 150 quid. Perhaps they don't know there's a recession.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How much would it cost to keep repairing, repaint and replacing one?

Reply to
Conor

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you could get a new one, how much would it be?

Did you get any idea of the price for a complete shell, out of interest?

Reply to
Adrian

Since you're prepared to try Mail Order try this place, although I'm not sure that they do Mail Order. Worth a quick call:

They're very reasonable - my last use about four years ago - sand blast 4 x 8' lengths of 2" angle iron - £10-00.

BEAD blasting would appear to be the best treatment for your pressed steel component as it's very gentle.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Dunno. They talk about doing a whole bodyshell for 1500. That sounds resonable. 150 for a thing about 4 x 1 ft not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have the bodyshop blather the inside of the frame and underside of the panel with dinitrol once it's painted.

Reply to
Doki

Are you sure there isn't a local metal treatment company? My brother's place does the initial treatment (not painting) for JCB and he can do odd jobs very easily.

I can ask him if you like - but he's not local to you I think:

Rob

Reply to
Rob

You'd think there would be this sort of thing in London - after all it's got thousands of small industrial estates. I just assume they don't want small work so don't advertise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Duncan Wood

Plenty of electroplaters around - but this is a different sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, brother doesn't exactly go out looking for small jobs, but he has offered to do bits and pieces for me in the past - bike bits, speaker stands, that sort of thing.

I would imagine, knowing him, it'd be a £50 cash deal.

Reply to
Rob

Most of the industrial ones can do it though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Right - perhaps I'll try some local ones. But I've tended to think of electroplating as a skilled and expensive process.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)