stuck in 4wheel

I have a problem with my 87 Wrangler. I was out doing a little wheeling on Saturday when I got back on the road and shifted back to 2 high the front axel would not disengage. I was 120 miles from home . So I had to drive it home with the T-case in 2 high . Will this hurt the t-case? Normally when the t-case is in 2 high you can turn the front drive shaft buy hand. Could use some help.

47 Willy's 50 Willy's Truck 87 Wrangler 97 Wrangler
Reply to
Mike Chambers

One thing I forgot was the Tranny and T-case are out of an 94 wrangler

47 Willy's 50 willy's truck 87 Wrangler 97 Wrangler
Reply to
Mike Chambers

Hi Mike,

Your front axle has vacuum actuated shift fork that slides a splined collar to connect two inner axles on the passenger side whenever the transfer case is engaged. Sounds like your vacuum system failed somewhere along the line and the collar is stuck in the 'engaged' position.

Driving in 2wd with the front axles connected will not damage the tcase or axle as long as the tcase really is in 2wd (check this). You'll notice a bit more road noise and reduced MPG. There is a risk though that the collar is just barely engaged and that you could twist or strip the splines when it's pulling in 4wd.

You can try to restore it by trouble-shooting your vacuum system and replacing any broken lines or parts. Better yet, install a manual shifter:

Or save a few bucks and make your own manual shifter:

Steve

Mike Chambers wrote:

Reply to
Steve

any instructions to go with the homeade posilock? Nick

Reply to
Nick

Hi Nick,

Same as last time you asked:

Someday I'll do a better write-up. In the meantime, if something is specifically unclear, just ask and I'll elaborate.

Steve

Nick wrote:

Reply to
Steve

ah ya..... bookmarked this time... Nick

Reply to
Nick

Next time, try going backwards for about 10 feet to release the stress on the front end. Normally, the front axle might not release for a while, and then it lets go with a thud.

You shouldn't have hurt anything with the front end locked.

Reply to
CRWLR

Steve thanks for the info.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike Chambers

yup i'm going to build my own cable lock after seeing how much they are.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike Chambers

I have seen the same trouble on CJ7's before, frequently on my own. I find a hill slope or big rock. When the hood is pointing up and the weight is back on the rear, it pops out like butta. Everytime.

Reply to
James T