synthetics

I am planning to convert my '05 Wrangler SE to all synthetics at the first oil change. Engine, trans, diffs.

What brands of synthetics are recommended for trans and diffs especially?

Anyone used Valvoline synthetic motor oils?

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I use Mobil 1 for the engine, and the dealer stuff for the gearbox. Some folks use Redline, but I don't know if that is synthetic or not - gets good reports though. Do you get synthetic ATF fluid for the transfer case ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
Dave Milne

I have not bought anything for the transfer case yet, or any lubricants for that matter, as the TJ just hit 1500 miles. Mobil 1, expensive, but probably a safe bet. How often do you change your motor oil since it is synthetic?

Are the diffs, transfer case, and transmission organic or synthetic from the factory?

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I aim for every 3,000 miles, but sometimes hit 3,500. I suspect that I could go for a bit longer, between changes, but I don't think that oil isn't that expensive really.. I have minimal consumption, and a healthy ~55-60 psi of pressure at ~2K revs after 33K miles ( the UK oil pressure guage is almost impossible to read - it goes 0 | 3 | 5.4 and is measured in bar. Most annoying... )

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
FrankW

I hadn't thought of that. Very interesting point.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Exactly. Whether it's synthetic or dino oil, it absorbs dirt, acids, combustion byproducts at the same rate so they need to be changed at the same intervals. :)

Jerry

Bryan wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

i use mobil 1 5w30 But still do oil change at 5000 KM and not 8000 as some people suggest....

"Jerry Bransford" a écrit dans le message de news:

35c7e.7315$%c1.4778@fed1read05...
Reply to
Patrick

Patrick did pass the time by typing:

Castrol Syntec, 10W30 Synthetic, 7500 miles and a new filter each time.

Found out wallyworld (walmart) has the 5Qt bottles for a lot less than local auto stores. synthetic saves a bit but dino juice saves a lot. They have a store brand "" dunno how good it

FYI (no real order)

Store Brand Qt $ea $/Qt Walmart Supertech syn 1 .97 .97 Walmart Supertech syn 5 11.88 2.38 Walmart Syntec mix 5 12.22 2.44 Walmart Syntec mix 1 2.72 2.72 AutoZone Quakerstate syn 1 2.89 2.89 Walmart Mobile1 syn 5 23.82 4.76 Walmart Mobile1 syn 1 4.88 4.88 Walmart Castrol syn 5 19.88 3.98 Walmart Castrol syn 1 4.72 4.72 AutoZone Castrol syn 1 5.19 5.19 AutoZone Mobile1 syn 1 5.29 5.29

Reply to
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Heh.. forgot to point out which one. It's the Supertech brand. Still bet you can guess by the price. I don't think the single quart price is correct, the bottles were all mixed up. Wonder who makes that brand...

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually, changing dino oil 'regularly', epecially more often than specified in your owner's manual - and synthetic less often - could be bad for your catalytic converter.

Synthetics are generally less volatile so the parts of the oil that vaporize first, including the phosphorous, are burned right away and sent through the converter. Phosporous and other anti-wear agents are hard on converters. So, by changing dino oil more frequently, you burn off more phosphorous than you would changing synthetic less frequently. This is the impetus behind the new API SM spec., which lowered phosphous and also volatility levels.

Plus, synthetics are more shear stable at high temps. providing better protection under stress and they flow much better at low temps.

Mario

-- EngineOilSelector.com

Reply to
Mario

If you want to get very, very picky you might choose Redline motor oil for a new vehicle as it is an ester-based synthetic which has a high natural level of detergency. It wouldn't be my top pick for a high-mileage engine as the polyol ester base stock can dislodge years of accumulated grime and sludge which could end up getting stuck in an oil passage and starve parts of your engine for oil. Other top choices are Mobil 1 & AMSOIL and a few smaller, independents.

As for Valvoline synthetics. For US oils, their Maxlife synthetic is probably their best oil. For their Synpower line, the 5w40 is probably their best. For your money, though, the oils mentioned above are probably your best bet.

For trans and diff fluids, again, If you want to get very, very picky I'd go with the brands mentioned above: Mobil 1, Redline, AMSOIL

Mario

-- EngineOilSelector.com

Reply to
Mario

Yes, its true that the RATE of absorption is the same, but the synthetics are much more resilient to the contaminants, so they won't shear back as easily and they suspend the contaminants better. Plus, synthetics are manufactures' premium oil products, they use top-quality additive packages with the synthetic base stock, so you end up with a very robust, long-lasting, high-quality product.

The bottom line is that top-quality synthetics are vastly superior to dino oil but, you don't NEED to use them if you don't want to. Regular dino oil will do the job its supposed to - just not as well or for as long.

Mario

-- EngineOilSelector.com

Reply to
Mario