oil change interval for synthetics

I changed mine at 3000 the first few times to make sure I got all the non-synthetic out (but I had 36k when I got the truck), then extended to

6k, so I do my oil change, chassis grease, filter and tire rotation all at once.
Reply to
Eugene

I am going to convert my trucks to synthetic oils. What mileage interval do synthetic oil users here use?

One truck is brand new with almost 1000 miles (an '04 ZR2 Blazer, the other a recently acquired 2001 Silverado 4x4 with a 4.8 and a 5 speed with 50000 miles) Presently the '01 is running Valvoline Durablend, and I was thinking of using Valvoline synthetics.

Every 3000? 5000? More?

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
frametype

I change mine at 3,000 miles as it still gets as dirty as convectional oils and also collects moisture from condensation as the motor cools off. As well as normal contaminates that an internal combustion engine sees. I use Mobile 1 strictly for the added protection as it won't break down as easily as conventional oils.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Reply to
Williams

Mobile 1 every 6k whether or not it needs it.

Big Chris

frametype wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

Mobile 1 and Wix filter every 6k miles.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

At least someone else in here is as old fashioned as I am when it comes to oil change intervals, regardless of using synthetic. I too change my oil and filter every 3K and use Mobil 1 exclusively. Shit, I even run M1 in my tractor! Starts a helluva lot easier in the winter months for plowing snow with the synthetic in there.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

RE/

???

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

It's the gizmo on the new trucks that "monitors" your oil life and tells you when it needs to be changed. When you change the oil and reset the monitor it starts at 100% and wroks it's way down to 0%. )% means it needs to be changed.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I've always remembered the Quaker State commercials on TV when I was a kid. "You can pay me now or pay me later". Always made sense to me to pay now, I might not have it later.....

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Except in the cased of Fram you pay both now and later

Reply to
Eugene

Most people luckily don't have a failure, but your chances of having a failure with a fram are higher than other brands so its a gamble. I didn't have a problem until one day I smelled gas and found a leaky filter, the fram started to leak at a weld seam and could have been dangerous had I not caught it. Its your life, if you choose to live dangerously and use fram go ahead. I thought that if was just a fluke thing and any brand could have a failure and even kept using fram until i got on the internet and found that fram has more failures than others, at that point I stopped using them, my life is worth more to me that the price difference to buy a better brand filter.

Reply to
Eugene

Try reading my message, you will see that it was a fuel filter and I didn't stop using fram at that time because I thought it was just one bad experience that I had. It wasn't until later when I started seeing stories of people having fuel and oil filters leak or break apart internally and clog the oil passages or pickup. You almost never see someone complain about a failure in another brand but fram failures are found many times if you search. It was then I realized that my failure wasn't just one bad experiance that t was quite common and being a fuel filter could have caused a lot more damage than a seized engine.

Reply to
Eugene

I think Fram used to say about the same thing, didn't they?

Reply to
mac davis

I seem to recall this was a Fram commercial as well...

Reply to
Stephen Young

Yeah it could have been, it was about oil changes what ever it was.... ;-)

Reply to
el Diablo

Not with me - I've used nothing but Fram filters & have over 1/2 million miles total on 2 engines/trucks alone. Many other vehicles too, not one with a lubrication/filter issue. So many people complain about the Fram filter, I must be the only human in the universe to have good results with them.

Reply to
Stephen Young

You smelled gas from a leaky OIL filter?!? WOW, that IS dangerous! We are talking about oil filters right now guy. Where are the actual MTBF numbers for all oil filters - I truly would like to see this info. I'm not brand loyal - I'll use the best proven product around & for me it has been Fram for 20+ years. You had a bad experience so Fram is junk for you - one person's bad experience means everyone is "living dangerously"? Get serious.

Reply to
Stephen Young

Eugene wrote: snip useless info...

I read your message - no where do you TYPE anything about a fuel filter. You commented about a leaking filter in a thread solely about oil filters. This entire thread is about oil filters - try reading again. I think you'll have to agree on this as well - rarely do people post about GOOD experiences with products they use, this should be the norm (getting good products) however with management/manufacturing practices today this is starting to be the exception. What you DO see is people complaining about bad experiences. I'd have a tendancy to believe that of all the aftermarket oil filters out there - Fram might sell the most simply because they are so commonly available at the AutoZones, Advance Autos, Wal-Marts, etc. Has nothing to do with being good - more to do with being easiest/cheapest to buy. So, with more units in use you should see more possibilities for failures. This is why I'd like to see actual MTBF numbers. You paint a picture that I'm ready to have my engine seize or dangerously blow up due to Fram filters. My experiences with Fram have been all good. YMMV

Reply to
Stephen Young

I use Valvoline synthetics in my 1997 GMC Yukon and I change oil and filter at 10,000 miles. Oil tests show OK.

Reply to
Christian