Synthetic BLENDS or full synthetics?

Any reason to consider synthetic blends over full synthetics?

Does a synthetic blend give you al the advantages of a full synthetic at lower price?

Or should one just go ahead and get the benefit of a full synthetic?

I'm especially referring to Valvoline Maxlife in link below.

me

I'm confused by your statements. In the first sentence you ask whether synthetic blended oil has all of the advantages you are looking for in full synthetic and in the second sentence you answer your question by stating that full synthetics have the benefits you are looking for.

Reply to
John S.

The answer to your question is to read your owners manual and maintenance schedule. Choose an oil that meets all of the required specifications. API, ILLSAC, ACEA and/or any manufacturers proprietary specifications, pay strict attention. A good conventional oil of the proper spec beats a synthetic that doesn't meet spec.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No, its just mineral oil with some 'synthetic' additives. Thats why it costs a lot less.

Full synthetic will last longer than mineral and giver better cold protection, but cheap new oil will always be better than expensive old oil, so how often you change it counts for more.

Zimmy

Ok

I should have gone with a full syn then.

Reply to
me

"Zimmy" wrote:

A few months ago. I bought Pennxoil Max Life 100% synthetic for 99 cents a quart, after rebate and coupon, at Pep Boys. My previouis purchase for this oil cost 6 cents a quart, after Pep Boys and Pennzoil rebates. That's why I don't bother with semi-synthetics.

Some auto parts chains have coupons in their Sunday newspaper ads that don't appear in their regular ads, and sometimes you can find printable coupons at their websites.

Questions to all:

  1. Which is better:

a) using synthetic blend and leaving it in for 7500 miles, or b) using regular oil and changing it twice as often?

  1. How much synthetic is in synthetic blend?

  1. How much synthetic is in regular oil? I read that some synthetic has to be mixed in to meet current quality standards.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You forgot one important question - what exactly is synthetic oil? Is it oil that is a highly refined crude oil (group III oils), or oil built from molecules created from the ground up? Until a few years ago, I only considered the latter "synthetic" oil. These days everybody sell highly refined Group III oils as "synthetic." And by everybody, I mean everybody, except maybe Mobil. Even the "First Name in Synthetics" hucksters (Amsoil) sell highly refined group III oils and call them synthetic (the XL product line). So I am not sure you can answer any of your other questions until you decide exactly what you mean when you say synthetic oil.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I would go with b) because although synthetic will perform better for a bit longer, it won't remove all those tiny bits of metal that make it black. Your magnetic sump plug has the same effect on both oils (ie not much).

Zimmy

Ahh.... great strategy!!! And great price. Thanks for the heads up!!

I would prefer full synthetic only because it gets very cold here in the winter and think a full syn makes it easier on my car (starting, etc)

My other reason for synthetic would be to eliminate some maint.... less oil changing. That is...change every 10k instead of 5k miles

Good ideas? Or bad ones?

Good question...an one that is relevant to my questions and needs as well

Reply to
me

holy cow....I didn't know this!!

I thought 'synthetic" meant that the oil was built up from molecular level.....and NOT highly refined crude oils!!

damn!!

Reply to
me

You can thank Castrol for that. Mobil sued when Castrol started calling Syntec synthetic oil and lost. The FTC allows the use of the term "synthetic" for highly refined group 3 oils.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In Europe it does. But in America... well, in America you can sell ice cream that doesn't have any cream in it, and chocolate that is less than

20% actual chocolate. So it's not surprising...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

ahh crap!!

I sure am glad you guys have told me this!!

I was under the assumption that even synthetic blends had TRUE synthetic oils in them....and NOT highly refined dino oils

I guess Mobil One is the only safe bet for TRUE syn oils now days?

Reply to
me

amen!!

aint THAT the truth!!