Throttle return spring mystery solved.

Okay, here's the deal:

Talked to a parts guy this afternoon. He is smart. He told me that assembly line streamlining from 2005 on mandated that the offensive primary throttle return spring be eliminated. Sort of.

In the 05/06 TJ's, there are two springs: one in the throttle body, one on the automatic transmission linkage. For those of us with 6-sp. transmissions, well, we get to suck it up and do without. As he stated, "You're tough: you can take it."

Well, I'm tough, but I can't take it. I paid serious bucks for this horse, and I want all of the springs I'm entitled to! So, today, I made a pilgramage to the local OSH for a look-see, and ended up filling the gap quite nicely. My throttle response now works as expected.

More information is available at:

http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Check Hidalgo's Private Garage for the information you seek. If this was DC's idea of cost-cutting measures, I am not amused.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Real Jeeps - like the ones manufactured by Ford? :)

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Are they required on vehicles with throttle bodies?

It isn't like the old days when a broken spring would result in an over revved motor.....throttle bodies have no control over the fuel supply.

Reply to
billy ray

Holy crap! I thought *I* was the only one running a high-dollar Jeep!

Reply to
JD Adams

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for the detailed info.

Reply to
mabar

I thought that double throttle return springs were a federally mandated safety measure. I must admit that I haven't thought much about it though.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Someone in the big 3 probably paid off Teddy or Hilary to get the rule changed if there was one.

Reply to
billy ray

More likely DeLay or Santorum.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Here is what I did today to install my missing throttle spring.

I drove it for about 15 minutes after the install, and it does seem to have a much better throttle feel now.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

$3.64 eh? The local Stealership wanted almost $7 for one. Big difference after one of these are installed. Easing it over bumps at low speed used to be really tough to do gracefully, but no more.

I've got a neighbor with a PT Cruiser that's thinking about doing the same thing; the primary spring does not exist on that either.

Reply to
JD Adams

mabar did pass the time by typing:

Might want to back those nuts off and put on some red threadlocker. That will help keep them from rattling off.

A old-timer trick is to slightly press the nuts in a vice to take them out of round and give them more grip.

Reply to
DougW

Just don't put too much of a spring on the throttle. I knew someone who put a big heavy spring on his van, to simulate the feel of a tractor trailer or something. He wound up with a snapped off throttle cable.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Hey, I noticed your writeup on the 'fog light mod' - well done, thanks for the information. I think I'll attack that offending #1 pin with a Dremel. If it works, I'll be sure to give you credit.

I wouldn't mind documenting the deletion of the clutch starter interlock, but I don't have the parts anymore. They somehow ended up under the left-rear tire as I backed out one day. Then I pulled forward, then backed over it once again. Ooops!

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Good suggestion Doug.

Reply to
mabar

You are welcome.

Reply to
mabar

Anytime you need OEM Jeep parts check out the prices here:

If you print out their parts price and take it to your local dealer, they might match the price, or at least come close.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Ahh. your throttle arm had no flange on which to fit the clip end of the spring. Mine did, go figure.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo