Tire Stores and lug nut torque settings

Being anal beats being really, a really stupid troll.

Reply to
PeterD

Umm, isnt there a please do not feed the trolls sign here any more?

Reply to
Lon

/ramjw\__ .:\:\:/:/. ( ~ ~ ): .-------------------.\ = o / | PLEASE DO NOT |( (_) ) | FEED THE TROLLS |/`-----'\_ `-------------------' / \(O) | | / /|_____|/U | | \_/ / \ \ | | ( ( ) ) | | _\,,\ /,,/_ ,|/./\/|.\| ,|/./.(_____V_____)/

Reply to
DougW

I thought you folks might get a kick out of this!

My two girls have a Pro D day tomorrow, so I thought I'd let them read along and let them post something, seeing that at least one of them is into 4X4ing.

:)

i am my dad's 12 year old daughter and I want to learn about 4 wheel drive jeeps. when i help my dad change from street tires to off road big tire when we go off roading he tells me to put stuff called copper slip anti seize goo on the studs? Is that good or is that not recommended?

(Well, that was my youngest daughter! Alex tells me that when she turns 16 years old she want's our KJ or a "Jeep Jeep" (Read Wrangler, TJ or something like that with bigger tires than Jen and my Liberty... She say's "This tall" and measures out at,at least 38 inch tall tires Little shit not only has taste but wants a "Better lifted, "tuffer" Jeep than ours! Ahh, they start young, and she is a girl! My other daughter Cooper (Who is 14 going on 24!) wants a lowered Mazda Miata with big fat tires so it can handle corners like my Mini (Oh sure!)

Start them young I say!

Reply to
Socks

Mike, I was reinstalling a head on a Dodge Rampage yesterday. It's the 2.2l ohc motor. Book called for the headbolts to be cleaned and threads oiled as well as the underside of the bolt heads. Also a couple of the bolts go into the water jacket and they require sealer on them. Also, as a GM tech for 18 years, I've always put teflon sealer on the headbolts of every small block I've ever built and torqued them to factory specs. Oh, and I use anti-sieze on my own personal lug nuts, run 'em down with a

1/2" impact and haven't had to change a stud in years except for the one that was cross threaded when some guy helped my wife change a tire on the side of the road.

Just sayin'...YMMV

Reply to
Old Crow

That's certainly legit, but in that case GM computed the torque specifications assuming that they were lubricated, not dry. Not the same thing as torquing a fastener with a dry specified torque when it has been lubricated.

Do you use a torque stick?

Reply to
PeterD

How many mail list subscribers does it take to torque a lug nut?

Answer: 1,331

- 1 to torque the lug nut and to post to the mail list that the lug nut has been torqued

- 14 to share similar experiences of torquing lug nuts and how the lug nut could have been torqued differently

- 7 to caution about the dangers of torquing lug nuts

- 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about torquing lug nuts

- 53 to flame the spell checkers

- 41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames

- 156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the lug nut torquing discussion and its inappropriateness to this mail list

- 109 to post that this list is not about torquing lug nuts and to please take this email exchange to another list

- 203 to demand that cross posting to other lists about torquing lug nuts be stopped

- 111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we all torque lug nuts and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this mail list

- 3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this list which makes torquing lug nuts relevant to this list

- 306 to debate which method of torquing lug nuts is superior, where to buy the best lug nuts, what brand of lug nuts work best for this torquing technique, and what brands are faulty

- 27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different lug nut torquing techniques

- 14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post corrected URLs

- 33 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including all headers and footers, and then add "Me Too."

- 12 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they cannot handle the lug nut torquing controversy

- 19 to quote the "Me Too's" to say, "Me Three."

- 4 to suggest that posters request the lug nut torquing FAQ

- 48 to propose a new rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.lugnut.torquing newsgroup

- 47 to say there is already an alt.cars.lugnut.torquing newsgroup

- 143 to ask if anyone ever did torque a lug nut

Reply to
csdude

You or your daughter really should be looking up the wet torque specs and just use them. It is perfectly legit, it is just a different number you use. That way you avoid any potential damage. I have seen charts for the different grade and sized bolt's wet and dry torque specs.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > I thought you folks might get a kick out of this!
Reply to
Mike Romain

Haha hoho! what a knee slapper! Yaawwn...

Reply to
Socks

I got to tell you, the spec was 3 passes. First at 30, second at 45 and then an additional 90*. By the time I got the third pass done, those bolts were *tight*. This was a 10mm bolt, and I was really sweating the first couple of them.

If I'm at work. If I'm home I don't have the torque stick, but my compressor only builds 130 lbs, and the impact I have at home is one I retired from work(meaning 'old and worn out'). I don't keep hammering on the nuts after they quit turning, and I usually double check 'em with a torque wrench. Being in the rust belt, I'd think you'd swear by anti-seize.

Reply to
Old Crow

Good advice. Although I have never had a lug nut loosen due to using "Copper slip" or "Molly slip" anti seize lubricant on the threads of the wheel studs after applying the manufacture's recomended torque setting!

Reply to
Socks

Been there, done that! It takes a certain amount of fortitude to do that additional 90* twist!

I do, I do! I keep four different kinds of anti-seize on my bench for different fasteners. And I use it on lug nuts. But, unlike the poster who didn't realize the implications of using it, I comphensate for the anti-seize. I always use a torque stick, but my impact wrench (an IR-231) doesn't limit well. I use a stick below the desired torque the finish 'em off with the torque wrench.

Reply to
PeterD

"DougW" ...

I like this. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

That's a .357 he's pointing. :) if you use a bigger o it could be a .454

Reply to
DougW

But then you could get a ticket for using a .45 in a .35 zone.

Reply to
Lon

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:23:03 -0800, Lon wrote (in article ):

Isn't a 454 a chevy big block, not a gun? Oh, sorry. This used to be a jeep group. Craig

Reply to
Craig Scheiner

That's what the cruise control is for. Just cruizin with the .357....

Reply to
Tomes

Yep recently bought 5 BFG T/A 31 10.5x15 to replace my stock 30 9.5x15 with 52,000 on them. I could not wait they were a POS and nasty on wet roads. I did the same thing checked the touque also and most of them were wrong. Just before the spare was put on I noticed a shit load of weight on the tire. Went in and talked to the service manager and told hin that the ballancing was not correct. Made them break the tire down and rotate it 180 degrees, they rebalanced it and less tha two thirds of the weights were used. The problem young kids and no adult supervision the service manage should learn by now that I am a PITA. We have been doing buisness since 92 he tries and thwart.

Coasty

Reply to
coasty