TJ Gas mileage ?

Thinking about purchasing an Unlimited, but want to get an idea of what kind of gas mileage people are getting on late model TJ's. Gas here is 2.29/2.39/2.49 at most places, with a few stations a dime lower across the board. I will be using it for daily commuting to/from work, with weekends in the desert and mountain trailheads. Weekend mileage is to be expectedly lower due to road conditions, speed etc. Out of necessity, I need to use it as a primary vehicle. TIA

Reply to
ZZ

Gas mileage seems to hover in the upper teens for most TJs I've seen (stock, of course). Don't expect much better than that.

If you're that concerned about gas, I'd probably avoid Jeeps all-together. Go for an econo car. Great on gas. Or own a Jeep and a motorcycle. I use the bike for day-to-day driving. Saves a TON on gas money!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

My '03 TJ averages 15.2, city and highway - about the same as the other Wranglers I've owned. The inefficient, decrepit old inline 6 has seen better days and should have been shelved several years ago. Chrysler has a couple of efficient V-6s with more TORQUE and horsepower that are much better suited for the job. Now, pardon me while I run for cover!

Reply to
j carter

I was trying to save myself from snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, but wouldn't let me go...

| My '03 TJ averages 15.2, city and highway - about the same as | the other *Land* *Rovers* I've owned. The inefficient, decrepit old | inline 6 has seen better days and should have been shelved | several years ago. Those damn germans have a couple of efficient V-6s | with more TORQUE and horsepower that are much better suited | for the job. Not only that, but everyone one of you with the I6 can bite me! |Now, pardon me while I run for cover! |

Keep running pal...

Reply to
Joseph P

I have been averaging around 14/15 mpg in the city and around 16/17 mpg on the highway with a completely stock set-up. But do remember, I am in New Zealand and our highways are a lot different from the ones in the USA.

I have just changed the tyres about a week ago, so can't really say if my mpg has changed at all. I need a few gas tanks to get an average.

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto Dana 44 rear, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

all-together.

Reply to
TW

stock my 98 got about 18-19 mpg...now its more like 13 with a good wind behind it.

Reply to
jbjeep

I get about 20-22 with my TJ. Mostly highway miles, as I drive 25 miles one way to work.

CDG 2002 TJ olllllllo

Reply to
Casey

Aver of 16 on my TJ. Both axles locked,lifted, tires,etc. Somehow the 16 has been steady since 99

Reply to
Felix Santi
02 TJ Sport

I get about 15 mpg with both highway and city.

Here's a great way to improve your gas mileage:

Chad Fraker

I purchased a TJ Unlimited 1 month ago.

On a full 72 litres tank (19 gallons), you can get approximately 420 kilometers (273 miles) and that is being soft on the accelerator.

Since the Unlimited is very prime, you have to learn to take it easy from zero on.

It is expensive in fuel, but who cares, it's a Jeep.

I do not miss my 2000 Intrepid at all!!!

So go for it, it's only money!!

Reply to
Eric and Elizabeth

Reply to
FrankW

LOL!

Man, I can't even relate to that and I am Canadian....

I get 11L/100km in my CJ7 258 on the 401 at those speeds. That works out to 19 US mpg. My speedometer is GPS calibrated.

Though I don't know just 'why' they don't call it like you said it....

I would get 9.09 KM per liter.

You get crappy mileage!

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That sounds even nicer.

Not bad for something with the aerodynamics of a brick and a carb engine.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Steve

Must be those skinny tires.

How many RPMS?

Mike Roma> Not bad for something with the aerodynamics of a brick and a carb > engine.

Reply to
Steve

I am turning 23-2500 rpm at 70+ mph in 4th gear with 3.31 diffs and

33's. Stock BBD carb, Accel SuperCoil and a straight pipe with a dynomax muffler on it.

It has been pretty consistent. Even when I had a steel body and 31x10.5 muds I got about the same 11L/100km or 21.4 US mpg.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That is almost my GVW.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Mike Romain

I get about 17mpg average in my 99TJ. It's been about the same since I bought it. I carry about a 100 lbs of gear and run 31x10.50 bfgoodrich ko's.

If you're on the bubble about whether to buy a jeep or not, do this. Compute what your other choice of vehicle will get in miles per gallon. Let's say for example it will get 23 or so mpg. Subtract say,17mpg of the jeep from the 23mpg of your other choice.In this case (Your Mileage Really May Vary haha.) Then figure the cost of losing that 6 mpg per tank every time you fill up. (based on a 20 gal tank )

I figure you'll be losing about $14.00 per tank based on $2.00 cost of a gallon of gas. My math ain't that great but I think I'm close. After you get a number you can work with, figure how many tanks you'll average per month/year.

If you still want a Jeep after all this, then figure you'll skip buying that suspension lift, or those new tires, or that Warn winch, or any of those other fun those accessories for a year or two until you've amortized the extra fuel expense. ;)

Reply to
Elflan

Hah! 4300 here. All those skids and rockers and stuff add up in a big hurry. Prolly part of the reason my gas milage is so crappy...especially after you add in the 12.5 wide swampers.

Reply to
jbjeep