Turn Signal Problems?

The turn signals in my '89 Jeep Cherokee suddenly stopped working a few days ago. Whenever I try to engage them (either side) nothing happens, no lights either on in the dashboard or outside and no chime. At first I thought is was just a fuse but they all checked out fine. Anybody have any ideas? I would really hate to take this into the shop 'cause I know they would charge me an arm and a leg even if its something simple, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

Kyonn Gowans did pass the time by typing:

First guess would be the flasher unit. (about $2.00, NAPA NFL224, I think) Do the emergency blinkers work?

Reply to
DougW

I thought about that but if it its just the flasher wouldn't the lights come on and just not blink?

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

Have you used your hazards lately? I find that if I use my hazards, but don't turn them off all the way (slide the toggle all the way to the right), then my turn signals sometimes don't work.

Just a thought.

Tirya

-- TDC Inca Jeeper A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep.

Reply to
Tirya

No.

Fire up the emergency flasher and follow the click to the unit. Then look on the fuse panel for one that looks the same and swap them. If the signals work, you need a new flasher.

You need to swap them back too, usually the emergency one is light duty and even half the size/length and will burn out too fast. They are round tubes one or two inches long by 3/4" round. If the plug fits, it will work even if the emergency can size is shorter.

Mike

Mike Romain

Not if the contacts inside the thermal flasher are burned. The flasher is really simple inside: A little bimetal strip (remember those from 6th grade science class?) conducts power until it gets hot, then it bends away from the contact and opens the circuit. Petoink. When it cools it bends back and closes the circuit again. The higher the electrical load the faster it gets hot and the higher the flash rate, that's why adding a trailer with lights makes your lights flash faster and having a burned out bulb makes them flash slower -- or not at all.

Try your 4-way flashers. If they all work then you know that it isn't a wiring harness problem, if they don't flash but come on with a very faint glow (that you won't be able to see under sunlight), you've probably got a ground problem.

Happy hunting.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

It sounds like another case of poor maintenance. Most of you guys keep up on things like oil changes, tire rotation, brake fluid flush, gear oil changes, but when was the last time you changed your blinker fluid? I change mine every two years, and prefer to use a premium DOT 7 synthetic fluid like "Kale's" rather than the cheap DOT 6 sold at most parts stores. Be sure and select the proper viscosity for the altitude where you live.

(maintenance page)

Reply to
Paul Calman

Blinker Fluid?

Reply to
CRWLR

Approximately 11/12/03 11:14, Paul Calman uttered for posterity:

Well yeah Paul, all of that is good advice, but unless you also regularly swap out the old electrons and filter, it does no good. Plus you need to regularly flush the photons and dark-suckers from each bulb, or they eventually just go dark and quit.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Now, this is all accepted practice that I am sure we all subscribe to. But, Blinker Fluid???

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I think the red stuff is better than the blue stuff.

Mike

Mike Romain

They don't have wobble bearings! What self respecting autoparts store doesn't carry wobble bearings? I'll take my business elsewhere thank you.

Reply to
Simon Juncal