Unlimited with Automatic Only???

I have a friend that is looking at a new TJ, and the dealership guy took her for a ride in an Unlimited. He is telling her that the Unlimited is available with an automatic trans only. Is this true?

Reply to
CRWLR

True...

JS

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Yes, it comes with the 4-speed automatic only. Not sure why, but I would sure prefer mine have that 4-speed automatic anyway. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

That's what I was told as well... I've had both now (5 sp & auto), and would likely purchase the auto again given the opportunity, particularly with the 4 speed. I do know some prefer the standards though. I suspect the marketing guys believe most people buying the unlimited will be using it as more of a traditional SUV and that a 5 sp wouldn't sell as well. Seems they could at least make it optional though.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Similar to the introduction of the Liberty, and further back, the Grand Cherokee. Even though the base model (and I think the mid model as well) had a manual tranny standard, very few if any were made in the first few years because D-C felt the autos would appeal to a wider audience. In the case of the Grand Cherokee, so few were ordered with the manual that it was dropped after a short time.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
    "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -Edward R. Murrow
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Right, auto only in the Unlimited. I sell Ford/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and I'm totally disgusted with the poor or nonexistant availability of manual transmissions in general, e.g. can't get a MT in the new '04 F150 or Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't own a vehicle with an automatic. I sold a new Mustang GT coupe (5 speed) yesterday. Thank God for customers who insist on manual transmissions. Maybe if enough customers demanded it, DC will build an Unlimited Rubicon with manual transmission as standard equipment.

The majority of people who buy Jeeps would be far better served with a minivan. I can't tell you how tiring it is to sell SUV's to poseurs who insist on wasting money on a 4WD vehicle that will rarely if ever get shifted out of 2WD High. It's all about impressing the neighbors.... "Look at me, I'm a badass in a tough SUV".

Reply to
cactuscowboy

Open a window Bill, you need some fresh air. I do enough shifting at work, I don't need to bring my work home with me. Apart from the 1-2, D, OD dilemma with the AW4 I much prefer the auto.. on road and off. I think I will be doing the TCM mod this summer.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Either that, or they don't like letting clutches out while stalled at big uphill angles. And buying clutches. What a pain in the ass. I've had both too, and I'm sticking with the 4-speed in the TJ. Standard's fine in a sports car.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I've owned two CJ7s with manuals and three Wranglers with autos, in addition to two auto XJs. I MUCH prefer the auto, especially offroad. I have a car with a standard trans. and three motorcycles if I get the urge to shift. It's a subjective thing.

I'm sure it is a production cost decision and will be introduced if the demand is there. Since you are a career tin pusher, you already know that, quite often, newer lines are introduced with limited options during the first runs.

You know what makes me tired, is people who think they are omnipotent and can decide for other people what is best for them. You must be a very high powered and respected car salesman to justify making judgement calls on what people should buy, and what they shouldn't, and how people should spend their hard earned cash. It must be frustrating to believe to have all that power and no way to execute it. I can see why you need to vent.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Jeep or truck without 4WD, even if I never intended to offroad it. One necessary use of the 4WD justifies the purchase of it for the life of the vehicle, in my opinion. Apart from that, resale is better.

It's all about impressing the neighbors.... "Look

Since we're making such judgement calls, maybe it's time for a career change. Sounds like job burnout to me. :)

Reply to
twaldron

That has to be the dumbest statement I've heard in a long time. The next time a perspective customer comes in looking at a GC because they go camping twice a year and they want a towing package because they want to take stuff to the dump from time to time - tell them they would be better off with a used Windstar and see how long they stick around. For that matter, see how long you stick around.

May I remind you that if Jeep only sold to people that promised to utilize the vehicle to its utmost potential, the brand would cease to exist. To avoid any further sleepless nights be sure to screen Viper owners that won't commit to 4.5 second 0-60 launches, 3/4 ton Ram buyers hauling yard waste well under 500 lbs, mini-van buyers with only one child and the worst offenders of all - people ordering two-tone paint when one colour would suffice...lunatics!

Let us know when you have returned all your commissions back to your employer from sales to poseurs.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I understand what you are saying, but it is nothing more than a stretched TJ, and TJs come with manuals. I get the whole Marketing Thing, it just didn't occur to me that this would happen. AT least the other examples you cited were in fact different models, but this one is not a new model, it is just a new configuration of an existing model.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
twaldron

My point exactly.

Reply to
CRWLR

That's why I used the word "similar," as opposed to "identical."

;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
    "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -Edward R. Murrow
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I agree, but I still think that even when the standard is in production, more will be sold with the automatic.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
    "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -Edward R. Murrow
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
twaldron

But does it come with a Selectrac? That would be *The Right Reason(TM)* for streching it.

Reply to
John Welch

The new line of jeeps have a hidden agenda , which is, they are designed for soccer moms who don't offroad, hence the liberty etc etc. thats the way the market is shifting so, why manual?

catch my drift?lol

Reply to
herman

Guess that will be another model that doesn't make it to the UK, where we like manuals.

Reply to
Dave Milne