weird body lean?

Hi all,

I've noticed over the last year my 93 YJ seems to be lilting slightly to the right. In fact, there's about a 3/4 in less difference over the right rear tire than the left. I thought I had read somewhere that this is normal for a jeep of this age as the drive power comes from this wheel and over time "pulls down" suspension....is that true? And what can I do about it, preferably cheaply?

Thanks Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy93

Jimmy93 did pass the time by typing:

Same thing I did. New springs. Time to think about a lift kit.

A short term solution is spring lifters. But don't rely on them for very long. There are two types, screw in (don't use them they pop out) and the V type (better). Use them in pairs.

Reply to
DougW

The simple fix is to swap the rears springs side to side. Unless something's broken or bent it will most likely level it right out.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hi DougW, I believe you speak of coil spring spacers. His YJ would have leaf springs front and rear.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

JimG did pass the time by typing:

Yep.. I wasn't thinking.

Reply to
DougW

Yeah, but even skinny little bastards like me get the left-side-sag...not me, the Jeeps! (At my age, everything sags!)

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
Red Racer

nope, 180 soaking wet, but my buddy tells me the jeep seems to level off once I get in it..

I'm going to have a shop look at the leafs in the back, I can't afford a suspension lift right now, but I feel I should do something before it gets worse...

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy93

Approximately 11/3/03 16:44, Jimmy93 uttered for posterity:

Would it be politically incorrect to inquire as to the weight of your main passenger? I've seen a few where they should be carrying the Jeep and not vice versa.

Knock wood something cheap.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"Real Jeeps."

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill you live in California... you know the OTHER state besides Arizona that car collectors go to get their rust free classic project cars? Jeep's are just rust traps, they have a hundred different things about them that promote rust. Hinges, curled lips in the sheet (lower tub), pressed and spot welded joints (windshield frame) coupled with the fact that they get rained in more often than any other vehicle (in states where it rains more than once a season). Open channel frame or not I've seen plenty of old CJ's that were rust from grill to tail pipe.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Jeez, neither your Real 1/4 ton Jeep nor my TJ could cope with two of you in the back without going over the payload limit ...

Doing a bit more research I discovered that the Suzuki Grand Vitara and Toyota RAV4 has a payload of 75 lb more than the TJ, the Nissan XTerra has

65 lb more, the Honda CRV has 150 lb more, the Chevy Tracker has 50lb more, the Ford Explorer 160lb more. What does the TJ have ? 820lb (including occupants) , the same as ... wait for it ... a HONDA PASSPORT.

Deduct 130lb of offroad armour and that leaves 690lb, less 200lb for me and

120 for girlfriend.. That means that I have 370lb left which isn't enough for 2 of my mates in the back, let alone luggage.

Consequently, I must have overloaded many times without realising it ...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > The simple fix is to swap the rears springs side to side. Unless something's : > broken or bent it will most likely level it right out. : >

: > Yours seems a bit odd, most leaf spring Jeeps tend to lean to the driver's : > side due to the drivers weight fatiguing the springs over time. The rears : > tend to sag more than the fronts due to weight transfer while driving.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Oh, and just to rub it in how shit TJs or Real Jeeps are for payload, the smaller wheelbased Land Rover 90 has a payload of 1660lb *excluding* the 2 front occupants.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:44:18 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

And God knows we have to account for that. Just ask that leo lee girl who posts out here all the time. The one I have killfiled. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I have this urge to put on my sweats and go to Wal Mart... :-)

Leo's Yahoo account has been suspended, we'll see how soon it is before he gets a new Web TV account...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo