2009 Corolla's Steering Problem

Has anyone had his problem:
I hope you smart folks can help. I have many never toyota's another with EPS with no problems. I test drove 3 other 2009 Corolla's with no issue. It's
only on this 2009 Corolla purchase just days ago. It will not track true, either steer to the left or right. The steering is a cause for concern on my long 200 mile trips. It seems like I am trying to balancing a pipe on top of a beach ball, it tries to roll to either side. The Toyota service says everything is up to specs and it's a common issue with the new EPS as of date found nothing wrong.

You asked this weeks ago and yr back, you had good advise then I guess you ignored it, you cant fix it so why ask again.

I have the same issue. My steering don't seem natural. Is there any fix?

If you haven't walked into the dealership and started a scene big enough for them to call the police, you are a pussy and you deserve to own a broken car.

I need some beachballs -

I need some beachballs -
============== When you contacted the NTSB, what sort of response did you get?

He was told this but said he doesnt want to bother anyone, so the puss aint gonna get it fixed.

He was told this but said he doesnt want to bother anyone, so the puss aint gonna get it fixed.
==============
Considering how bad the car business is now, Toyota picked one hell of a bad time to pump out a lot of cars that can't be fixed.

I used to own an '09 Matrix (Corolla by another name) that behaved the way you describe. I think Toyota still hasn't nailed down the electric steering system on this model.
To be fair, in town it had very fast and accurate steering, but, as you say, on the road I was always adjusting. A real pain.
dennis in nca
> GUEST wrote: > Has anyone had his problem: > > I hope you smart folks can help. I have many never toyota's another with EPS > with no problems. I test drove 3 other 2009 Corolla's with no issue. It's > only on this 2009 Corolla purchase just days ago. It will not track true, > either steer to the left or right. The steering is a cause for concern on my > long 200 mile trips. It seems like I am trying to balancing a pipe on top of > a beach ball, it tries to roll to either side. The Toyota service says > everything is up to specs and it's a common issue with the new EPS as of > date found nothing wrong.
Where do one sign up to report my Corolla 2009 steering problem. I thought I was crazy. I need to call Toyota.

Call Toyota customer relations at 1-800-331-4331
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

I called last week. They gave me a case # then they said it's a common issue. I took it in and the dealer said the same thing. I just have to live with the wondering of the steering.

You might try the US Department of Transportation. They are the ones who order recalls. Copy the dealer and the manufacturer on the complaint. Send it to:
U.S. Department of Transportation 1200 New Jersey Ave, SE Washington, DC 20590
Jack j

Still sounds very weird to me... I just don't see how a power steering system can cause road wandering.. Very weird... :/ Seems to me if you hold the wheel still, it should feel about the same as any other type of system. Belt, or electric shouldn't really matter all that much. If you don't move the wheel, it shouldn't wander. Wonder if maybe there is a problem with the module that drives it. Almost sounds like the system is staying in "slow speed/city" more assist mode, vs the usually tighter and less assisted feel you have on a straight highway. Maybe it's still too "touchy" at speed..
But... I still have to wonder. I've had older cars that the power assist was the same no matter what speed, IE: 60's chevy's, Fords, etc. They didn't wander at highway speeds unless you had a tire or alignment problem. Anyway.. Weird.. Very Weird.. :/
Have you (when you were a kid) turned your bike handle bars backwords and riding down the street. You can do it but as soon as you are not center it trys to turn left or right..
(I got this example from another user's comments from a blog)

Still sounds very weird to me... I just don't see how a power steering system can cause road wandering.. Very weird... :/ Seems to me if you hold the wheel still, it should feel about the same as any other type of system. Belt, or electric shouldn't really matter all that much. If you don't move the wheel, it shouldn't wander. Wonder if maybe there is a problem with the module that drives it. Almost sounds like the system is staying in "slow speed/city" more assist mode, vs the usually tighter and less assisted feel you have on a straight highway. Maybe it's still too "touchy" at speed..
But... I still have to wonder. I've had older cars that the power assist was the same no matter what speed, IE: 60's chevy's, Fords, etc. They didn't wander at highway speeds unless you had a tire or alignment problem. Anyway.. Weird.. Very Weird.. :/
On Mar 9, 5:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote:

What I noticed on my Matrix was:
When on the open road, being hit by a slight side-wind or rolling over a small irregularity in the road, would change my path on the road "slightly." But because of highway speeds you have to correct "immediatly" otherwise the deflected angle would soon move you out of your lane. I did not ever feel the same "need to correct" at slower speeds.
When I dumped the Matrix and replaced it with a RAV4 everything was back to normal: When encountering cross wind or bumps the vehicle normally self-centers a small amount and overt correction is not required.
Why this should be true I don't know, considering the manufacturer is the same and both use electric assist.
dennis in nca
Thanks for your info Rigger.

What I noticed on my Matrix was:
When on the open road, being hit by a slight side-wind or rolling over a small irregularity in the road, would change my path on the road "slightly." But because of highway speeds you have to correct "immediatly" otherwise the deflected angle would soon move you out of your lane. I did not ever feel the same "need to correct" at slower speeds.
When I dumped the Matrix and replaced it with a RAV4 everything was back to normal: When encountering cross wind or bumps the vehicle normally self-centers a small amount and overt correction is not required.
Why this should be true I don't know, considering the manufacturer is the same and both use electric assist.
dennis in nca

This is great infomation: is there a central forum to talk to others that might have the same EPS Power Steering problem with my 2009 Corolla? Thanks A