What are the two relays for beside the battery in 87 YJ?

Well I'm up to the point of sorting out the wiring under my '87 YJ hood now that the chevy 350 is in place. I have a Haynes manual but it could be better.

Does anyone know what the two relays are for beside the battery? If I remember I had to change them when my lights quit. Now that I have the looms open and have removed all of the old sensor and computer wiring I'm left with one long mess of wires going to these two relays...

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jim.c.christiansen

jim.c.christiansen

Hi Jim, Sounds like a job for Painless:

Idon't think you can save any of your old harness. Diagrams for what you havemay be downloaded via a right click and save target:
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Just to add to the question...

I've removed them altogether. Those two relays don't control the headlights... The little circuit board in the black molded holder next to the relays to- they are cut out, too.

I have no clue what they did do, but I think I'll be able to supply power to the starter solenoid and to the HEI without needing this mess of wires.

If anyone can lend an opinion I'm all ears.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jim.c.christiansen

It's the idle diode assy. It has a row of diodes and 2 fuses mounted on a circuit board..

As for the relays, one is for the idle solenoid. The other is for the manifold heater.

Reply to
bllsht