Yep, its time to move on.

Well I have gained volumes of knowledge from this forum, but those were the good ole days. Nice to have chatted with some knowledgable folks. Thanks for everything. So long.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Check back periodically in case it clears up !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

That's pretty much what I do, there has been some great info and interesting people in this group, but this thing has totally gotten out of hand and pretty much destroyed what was a good group.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

"Dave Milne" wrote in news:zlz%i.131163 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Probably will. How long can it be before he dies of a heart attack or gets hauled away?

Bertie

Reply to
Bertie the Bunyip

I just use Hamster and killfilters. Still though it's sad when 100+ messages get reduced to just one.

Probably should look into chartering a new moderated newsgroup.

Reply to
DougW

DougW, you are right. We need a new group. Bill and the ones who incite him are ruining this group. I can only hope Bill and his gang wont follow us to the new group.

Reply to
John

They can't if it is moderated. Problem is that takes time for those that do the moderation/aproval of posts. I need to check on what robomoderation software is out there. With a constant-on connection it would be fairly easy for me to provide root moderation.

Reply to
DougW

"DougW" wrote in news:p9T%i.25383 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.phx:

Well, you don't need it and besies that moderated groups are crap. this is what I'd call a really useful group and all you have to do is learn to use a killfile. If you're reading this then you aren't doing it and you should be! Killfiling has a lot of advantages over moderation, not the least of which is you can still have a few squabbles going on that spin out some good info which you won't get in a moderated group. Most improtantly, moderated groups are BORING!

Bertie

Reply to
Bertie the Bunyip

I would have to agree with you there. Moderation has always been less appealing to me. Killfiles are okay except now with mass produced fake from lines and subject generators, it's hard to keep up. It would be nice to see another level of blocking that can be done by a super user at times but then again, it becomes moderated.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Peter,

forgive my ignorance but how do you killfile someone? I see lots of people talking about killfile, but I have no idea how to do it. It would be nice to be able to filter out Bill and his gang and only see legitimate Jeep messages. Also, I see where Bertie says it makes a difference if you report someone to the abuse email. How do you report abuse and does it make a difference? If it did, it would seem to me that Bill would be blocked from the group. Bill, don't worry, I'm not going to report you. I figure you've been reported enough. Yet, you are still here.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

By the time a person slog's through all the crap in this ng they leave before they bother with a kf. You folks had a decent group in the past. Actually that's why I wandered into it, as I'd been here before and now was looking for info in a cj. But you have one asshole here and he's totally out of control, why sombody hasn't gone to his house and smacked him is beyond me. Then again most won't bother with a kf, so why bother going to his house, just move to another group. Which is what most of those with expertise and info to offer have done.

Screwing with the coward is mildly entertaining for a bit but....

Reply to
Roy

snipped-for-privacy@zero.com (Peter Parker) wrote in news:47403a90 snipped-for-privacy@nntp2.nac.net:

Nah, Billy isn;'t brigth enough to frog and it's al centered around him. Eleminate his shit and all of us around him and about 95% of your problem, if not more, is gone.

Bertie

Reply to
Bertie the Bunyip

"John" wrote in news:474042de$0$8650$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Reporting abuse is easy. there;s an e-mail addie in the headers telling you who to send it to . in any case it'd be snipped-for-privacy@whatever.com

First, stop using Outlok express and get a free copy of x-news off the net. Much asier to use in every way once you get used to it. It has an excellent killfile option that I never use myself (well what would be the point?)

Bertie

Reply to
Bertie the Bunyip

Hi John-

Kill files are used in news readers. I checked your headers and you seem to be using Outlook. I don't use outlook but I am sure outlook has a command that allows you to place either the addressor or the subject line into a filter so you don't see those posts when it scans. It's just like emails going into a junk or bulk file. The problem with kill files is that almost all abuse posts are faked or generated so they are unique every time they post. This is how they get through the filtering.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thanks Peter, I found the rules in outlook express to delete anything with Bill Hughes in the subject. I hope it works. What about the abuse option? That doesn't look like it works at all. Otherwise, why is Bill Hughes still here? Anyway, thanks again for the info on killfiles. Let's hope this group gets back the business at hand, which is Jeeps, and not Bill Hughes.

John

Reply to
John

Outlook Express--different product from Outlook.

In OE 6 (aka "Windows Mail") there are a couple of ways to do it. There is a column with a pair of eyeglasses as the header--click twice in there and you get a red circle with a line through it--that flags that message and all replies to be ignored. Alternatively click "messages" and either "junk email" or "create rule from message" (they give different options).

If you want more precision or to filter on headers that OE doesn't address in its rules system, then you can set up a Hamster proxy, which will work with _any_ newsreader, but on an hourly-rate dialup connection it can get expensive.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
John

I'd see the moderation as being a blocking of users primarily. In a democratic group, you could even do a vote on it. That way it isn't the moderators problem, it's YOUR problem too.

Dave

Peter Parker wrote:

Reply to
Dave Milne

Yes, of users and of posts from users who are not blocked. A moderated group, unfortunately, is only as good as the moderator(s).

Voting on members is a good idea but approving individual posts must be done by the moderator(s) or it would take too long...

Just pointing out some good and bad with a moderated group.

Changing the topic a bit, I personally don't like the on-line forums as they tend to divide into separte forums for Wranglers, GCs, CJs, etc. which deprives the members of seeing all the questions asked and possibly providing a needed answer.

Reply to
XS11E

I think we can live with some irrelevant posts. If we have a killfile we can agree on, we have basically agreed that once you are in you can post, and if the group votes you out, you are out. An incentive to play nicely, without getting too picky about each and every post.

Dave

XS11E wrote:

Reply to
Dave Milne