Where to find Rotors?

Ok, this is my last rotor post, 'cause I don't know about you, but I'm tired of posting's 'em.

I need to know where I can find (in Northern NJ or internet based) cast iron rotors for a 2001 XJ. I've checked auto zone's site, and they don't carry them. Strauss's site doesn't list if they carry full cast iron rotors, and the girl behind the counter had no idea what-so-ever.

So, if anyone knows where I can get them, PLEASE let me know.

TIA

Hank

P.S. Hopefully Bill might have something, he seems to be the Lord of the Links.

Reply to
viriiman

Are your rotors not part of the recall?

Mike

viriiman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What else would they be besides cast iron?

I would be searching for brake rotors, and let the counter guy drop a load of steel on you.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I understand they do composite discs/rotors also ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > I need to know where I can find (in Northern NJ or internet based) cast : iron : > rotors for a 2001 XJ. I've checked auto zone's site, and they don't carry : > them. Strauss's site doesn't list if they carry full cast iron rotors, and : > the girl behind the counter had no idea what-so-ever. : >

: > So, if anyone knows where I can get them, PLEASE let me know. : >

: : What else would they be besides cast iron? : : I would be searching for brake rotors, and let the counter guy drop a load : of steel on you. : :

Reply to
Dave Milne

All of the rotors I've found so far are composite rotors, which I was told will warp faster then cast iron. I was also under the impression that the cast iron would last me longer, and that the Jeep came from the factory with composite rotors.

As for finding them, it seems someone changed a lot of things on the 2001 XJ. When I had an exhaust problem, Midas didn't have ANY of the pieces of my exhaust and told me I had to take it to the dealership. The one website I checked gives me two links, one for composite and one for cast iron.The cast iron link shows that they don't currently carry it.

Guess it looks like I'll be getting composite this time around.

Hank

Reply to
viriiman

Your correct, Jeep had some composite rotors that split when exposed to salty conditions. Not sure if they still use that type of rotor or not.

Reply to
DougW

Chrysler has been using composite rotors for a while now Jeff.

That is why it is so important to hand torque the wheels on. The composite pieces of junk warp if you blink wrong at them.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

And after following all of those links, not one site carries the cast iron rotors for the 01 XJ.

However, it seems that the "replaces part #" (5016434AA) for the front disc brakes for a TJ

isalso the same part number for the front disc brakes for an XJ
Should I then be able to order the front disc brakes for the TJ and have them fit?

Why did they have to change so much on mine that this is becoming a nightmare?

Hank

Reply to
viriiman

Reply to
twaldron

YES! That is my EXACT reasoning!

Thank you very very much, as my post that I wrote that in seems to have become roadkill on the information-superhighway

Hank

Reply to
viriiman

It could be, this would be the second time I'd be having the rotors turned (they've been cut once already since leaving the factory), however I do have about 71,000 miles on the Jeep.

Not sure if they should've been cut yet. I've also replaced the front brakes, and am getting ready to replace all of the brakes very very shortly.

Also, would I have to pay for this warrantee work (I don't think I would)? I mean, I don't want to bring it out to the dealership, have them look at it, and tell me that it's just normal and the discs do warp and I'm not covered, or that I had them cut once already and they don't qualify or just that I'm SOL.

Now I have no idea if I should have them replaced or not. :-\

Reply to
viriiman

There was a recall for some years of them, not sure which. It was for rust.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Do the '98 Cherokee ones fit ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: >

: >

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : >

: > : > Dave Milne, Scotland : > : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : > : >

: > : > : > I need to know where I can find (in Northern NJ or internet based) : > : cast : > : > : iron : > : > : > rotors for a 2001 XJ. I've checked auto zone's site, and they : don't : > : > carry : > : > : > them. Strauss's site doesn't list if they carry full cast iron : > rotors, : > : > and : > : > : > the girl behind the counter had no idea what-so-ever. : > : > : >

: > : > : > So, if anyone knows where I can get them, PLEASE let me know. : > : > : >

: > : > : : > : > : What else would they be besides cast iron? : > : > : : > : > : I would be searching for brake rotors, and let the counter guy drop : a : > : load : > : > : of steel on you. : > : > : : > : > : : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Dave Milne

I have used Raybestos rotors (cast iron, not composite) and pads, and they are much better than the original product. They are easy to find in many common car parts stores such as Auto Zone etc.

My car is a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Hope this helps !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Boy am I confused! I would have thought all rotors for a Jeep would be iron. My apologies for second guessing you ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

According to this:

it was for '96-'99 Cherokees, however the vehicle had to have been sold in a "rust" belt state where road salt is commonly used (not sure about Canada). :)

There may have also been recalls dealing strictly with warping, but I don't know for sure.

My '98 Cherokee had the rotors replaced sometime after the original warranty had expired (it had around 50000 miles on it, then) for free under this recall. The replacement rotors didn't last very long until they warped. Funny, it now has cheap "house brand" rotors on it that have lasted over 10000 miles with out warping...

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

The warping is normally due to the wheel nuts not being hand torqued on like they are 'supposed' to be.

Put air tools or an impact gun on the wheels, and bingo, warped rotors!

Mike

John Sevey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, I'll agree that not hand-torqueing the lug nuts can contribute to rotor warping but the real root cause of rotor warping is that they switched from heavy all-cast rotors to light-weight composite material rotors that can't deal with heat as well as heavier all-cast rotors can. Simply switching to cast rotors will greatly decrease, if not totally eliminate, rotor warping.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Sure, but how fast do they forget???

When I worked in garages, we were not even allowed to use the air impact gun on aluminum or mag wheels, because the gun would potentially warp them...

Now we have aluminum rims and composite rotors and tire jockeys with impact guns...

The rotor doesn't stand a chance...

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to