Where to get tranny line clip?

I have a 85 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My tranny line is leaking at the joint by the cooler which leads me to believe I need a new plastic clip. The clip looks like this:

Now I can find this clip in my local auto parts store but it's shown as a fuel line part. I bought one anyways to check and it seemed really flimsy... I didn't want to chance it.

I went to the the dealer and they said they don't sell the clip separately.. I would have to buy the whole line; $90. Forget that. I can't believe that every time someone brings their vehocle in and a clip needs to get repaired thy rip out the whole line as well.

Where can I get this part?

Thanks for any info!!

-Adam

Reply to
ajcrm125

Looks like the fuel line clip to me. Mine have a teeny metal spring clip and a plastic carrier.

That clip simply holds the fitting on, what you need is new O rings that are inside that fitting. Unfortunatly I don't know any other source than the dealer unless Napa has a replacement part. Tried calling a local hydraulic hose shop?

Try

and see what they have for OEM cost. They are a dealership but they don't price gouge.

I've found out that sometimes there is no good cheap solution that lasts.

Reply to
DougW

carrier.http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/trans-connector.jpg>

Whoops... I meant 95 not 85. Thanks for the info... I'll have to check that. And to think all these years it could have been something as simple as an o-ring! I hope that's the case.

-Adam

Reply to
ajcrm125

I would like to add that the person you were dealing with at the dealer probably didn't have time help you correctly. They usually run so short on help that they folks are forced to "triage" requests. Most likely, if they can furnish it separately it would come in a pack of "10 each" and their manager would stomp them if they ordered 10 and only sold one. I have been forced to buy 10 of several small items at the dealer before in order to get the right part.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

carrier.http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/trans-connector.jpg>

Hmm.... Called the local dealer and they said that the line (o-rings etc included) are discontinued. They do the whole thing in hard tubing now. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket kits out there to do this? I've re-done solid break lines etc... I'm assuming the process is similar. Thanks...

Reply to
ajcrm125

Since apparently your local dealership is going to be NO help, you might try a reputable transmission shop since they routinely disconnect these during repairs.

Personally, I would remove the line and look for that O-Ring mentioned above. It should have one "somewhere", either on the end of the line itself or captive in the fitting that it plugs into. Either way, you should replace it with one from a hydraulics shop. There are gobs of cheap junk O-Rings out there that will fall apart when exposed to oil.

Inspect the original "clip" and if it is not broken re-use it. If it is broken, I would try that clip you mentioned earlier. The clip only retains the line, it does not do the sealing.

Good Luck!

Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

I have always replaced and repaired tranny cooler line with the 'rubber' version. It works great and fits on with clamps. The also make 'high pressure' worm gear clamps now or I use two regular ones side by side.

Mike

Mike Romain

You're saying forget the quick-disconnect type fitting and just use the hose with a few hose clamps? I've considered doing this...

Reply to
ajcrm125

Fuel hose for fuel injection systems should work great in this application.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Tranny cooler line is 'much' more common and is cheap at the auto parts stores.

I used it for all my high water vent tubes on my rebuild even.

Mike

Mike Romain

Yes for sure. This is what you do when you add an auxiliary tranny cooler up front also.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

As long as it is rated for the temperature that tranny lines incur. Many fuel hoses are not rated for high temperatures.

Chris

Just remember you have to use hose rated for ATF and pressure/temp. Other hose will disintigrate and screw up your transmission. Make sure you get the hose over the bump or it will slide off under pressure. The ATF cooling system becomes pressurised when hot.

Reply to
DougW

carrier.http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/trans-connector.jpg>>

At one time the fuel line clips were hard to find but the last time I needed one it turned out that the local Advanced Auto and Checker both carried them. Pack of 5 was something like $4, but when I went to get them, he pulled out 3 different sizes and wanted to know which I wanted since his parts book wasn't clear. Turns out, the nylon parts are determined by the line diameter rather than the use. Anyway, at least 2 local places have them and they are in the buck, buck and a half each range - have you tried any of them? My son broke the tranny cooler one on his XJ when he had to pull the radiator and he found the replacement somewhere local - besides the dealer.

Reply to
Will Honea