TG: where to get new return fuel line 300SD?

Re: 1985 300SD 5 Cyl.:

One of the return fuel lines between #3 and #4 injector sprang a leak. This is black plastic hose about 4 mm ID with a black fabric braided covering. It runs from the fuel filter to each of the injectors. Couldn't find it locally (Autozone had nothing like it), so I did a temp fix with black RTV. I ordered what was described as return fuel line from THEBENZBINS, and it had a wall thickness twice what is needed. (the nipple is really close to the injector body!). I need several feet of it, as it really all should be replaced. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

You see how the braided fabric holds an otherwise broken hose together rather than having it totally rupture.

Bleed off hose, for some strange reason, has become quite expensive. My local stealer / dealer wanted $20 for three feet. On-line suppliers are also high.

thebenzbin.com buymbparts.com esparts.com

You asked for fuel return line, ask for bleed off hose - for the injectors - and they'll know what you need. You will not find this hose at domestic parts stores, I will soon need some too and have been mulling as to when to buy some.

I generally replace all the bleed off hose(s) at once to get the mess over with and done for a few years and I put the terminal plug into the stub end line before pressing that stub hose onto #5 injector.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

At $20.00 for 3 foot that sounds like highway robbery to me. The black RTV sealant is holding fine for now, maybe some sort of low-cost plastic hose that takes high temp could be used for this purpose? Do you know how many PSI is in this line? I don't have a clue. If it is not under a lot of pressure, model airplane fuel line might work just as well. That stuff holds up well with Nitro, so diesel fuel should not affect it.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

I replaced mine several years ago with a semi-transparent plastic fuel grade hose that I found at the local auto parts store. It's performed perfectly. I wouldn't use the braided crap if they gave it to me for free. It starts weeping in a couple years, which there is no excuse for in a hose. I just took one of the old hoses for comparison and the parts store found one that was the correct diameter.

Reply to
Chet Hayes