Cavlier, Gear Linkage, snapped pin, sloppy gear selection, difficult to get into 5th

Well, title sort of says it all

Just recently I've had a problem occur all of a sudden, with 5th gear being difficult to select, and a feeling that the gear selector is sloppier than it used to be.

Anyway, did the usual leave-it-and-it'll-go-away cure, which unfortunately did not work.

Tonight I looked under the bonnet, and discovered that where the gear linkage from the gear selector goes through a final "universal-type-joint", there's a hollow steel pin that holds the two halves of the joint together, and this pin appears to have a distorted head at one end to stop it being removed from the joint, but the other end seems to have sheared off. I can actually remove the pin by hand (and presumabley the joint will fall apart), or by pressing it in, I can get it to locate in the hole in the other side of the joint, whereupon the gear selection is nice and positive.

So, I think I'm looking at obtaining a new pin, however, I can imagine this being a GM part, "45 quid to look at it mate" sort of job.

My question is, what's stopping me simply replacing this pin with a M6 bolt, and wire-lock the nut? Is there a special reason why GM use a hollow steel pin (it looks like its been rolled from 0.3mm steel plate).

Obviously this is a Must-Fix-Now sort of problem, so I'm looking for the easiest and safest solution, which doesn't involve GM dealerships.

Any advice?

Regards

Mike Dodd

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I don't see a problem with a bolt being used as a replacement. It has been a while since I looked at one of these linkages - AFAIR there is a wire clip that is part of the pin and locks it into place. Perhaps this clip has gone AWOL, which is why the pin can now be displaced? The pins are available separately, and are not expensive.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

My old Cav did that. The pin was about £7. Easy to fit and cured the problem. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam