XJ Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Hello Group & Thanks in advance for any information...

I have a '98 XJ which needs some rear brake work. So, when I go about it, I was figuring that I might convert to discs.

I've bought and read the Eric Zappe book ("Hi-Po XJ Builder's Guide") which describes the conversion procedure, but it concludes with the comment that the stock 15" wheels with 5.25" backspace will no longer fit with the Terraflex or ZJ conversions (need 4.5" backspacing or less).

A person at a local dealership has said that a friend of his used rear disc parts from a Liberty for the conversion and still runs his stock

15" wheels.

Has anyone had any experience with the Liberty parts? I guess my next move would be to ask to talk with the parts guy's friend. Thanks for any help.

Jim Grand Rapids, MI

P.S. It's snowing!.... again....

Reply to
98XJ

I don't know about an XJ drums, but for my CJ7 I just pick up today, 2 new drums, shoes, cylinders and small parts bag, total was $126.34, all parts made in USA, don't think it's worth the hassle to swap to disc when the drum parts are so cheap. If I was going to that hassle I would be looking for an Explorer 8.8 to swap in. We put a 2001 explorer sport trac in a freinds YJ, $100.00 for rear end, $120.00 for gears, $50.00 for a machanic freind to swap the gears, 1/2 day job for the 2 of us to cut and weld on perches and do swap.

Reply to
Greg

My XJ has the 9 inch drums. Their replacements cost over $90 each, plus I need wheel cylinders in addition to shoes, springs, etc. A repair estimate had over $300 in parts. At that point, why not do the conversion - get better braking, and easier, cheaper repairs in the future? I hate dealing with those springs and adjustors.

Reply to
98XJ

My local AutoZone lists those drums for $30 or $39 each, wheel cylinders at $10 each and shoes at under $20 a set (both sides).

That's for all new parts, throw in a hardware kit for under $10 and you have all new rear brakes for about $100 in parts, that's tough to beat!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt