SteelTech Solutions disc brake conversion

When we have good service from a vendor I believe in telling people about it, the same as when we have bad service or bad parts -- below is my update on the
rear disc brake set up by SteelTech Solutions DL This is for the rear disc brake set up that was advertised to fit the new flanged axles.
Update--- Got fed up with Dave refusing to answer a phone or call me back, so I emailed him and sent the rear brake set up back for a re-fund as they didn't fit as advertised. He recieved them on the 16th and we haven't heard a peep from him and no refund as of today Nov 03. I will never ever do business with him or recommend a customer to him again. Done with his crap.
Now, I did get Nimesh's brake set up on. I did have to have the rotors re-drilled for the stude pattern. Also shimmed the caliper so it would center properly but would need to do this on any dana 44 because of the axle shimming. Pretty easy to do. Also the set is 13lb's lighter than the "other" set. The fronts will be over 20 lbs lighter I would guess. This set up will clear the Stude wheels that were made for the Stude disc brake set up.
studehdtp53 wrote:

Would be interested in hearing more about this conversion. got any pics? Is there any info. on the web anywhere?
thanks,
nate

Nimesh uses the 88-94 corvette calipers and rotors. A lot of options here as there is a big after market for corvette stuff. I already had DL's stuff on the front but the next time I will do Nimesh's system on all fours. The biggest thing is having the rotors re-drilled for the Stude bolt pattern. I think I will make up a jig so I can just do it myself next time. I'll try and get a picture.
If Nimesh's kits use a 1" thick rotor mounted with a Corvette caliper, why not use the Ford rotors that Jim Turner specifies and avoid having to drill anything?
Brooksie

" will never ever do business with him or recommend a customer to him again. Done with his crap."
I know the feeling. Luckily I paid with PayPal and was able to get a refund when I disputed the transaction. I waited four months with no reponse to my nice emails asking where my disk brake conversion kit was.
Someone that has been ripped off by this guy should fry his ass. People that steel money from others belong in jail. All that one needs to do is report him to the States Attoney's Office in the state which he presides in.

I recently finished installing the 4-wheel disc brake package from Jim Turner. I admittedly bought the "economy" package and sourced all the other parts off eBay and local parts houses. Other than some part number updates and confusion on my part, there was absolutely NO problem with fitment of the Turner kits. The brackets needed no fudging, fussing or persuasion with the proverbial larger hammer.
I did save myself a bunch of money over the full meal deal kits and yes, I had to work a little harder to find all the right parts to complete the job. There was no redrilling of rotors or shimming of calipers.
Beyond the quality of the kits, the fact that Jim Turner carries product liability insurance on his product speaks volumes to me (as an insurance adjuster).
Technical support was always gladly given by Jim when I had part number problems. Highly recommended vendor!
Brooksie

I agree that the Turner brakes appear to be a quality product, I just like to see all my options out there. So far it looks like for disc brake conversions we have:
1) Turner 2) Steeltech 3) the Cobra brakes that the guy on the forums did, if he decides to market them 4) the Nimesh setup??? 5) the hybrid Wilwood caliper/Avanti rotor setup that someone else posted about
I have to admit that if it came to a choice between those, so far I would probably pick Turner as I don't want to go to 17" wheels (which you'd have to do to use the Cobra brakes) and I'm also not into serious fabricating, at least not now. But I always like to see what people are doing.
nate
Brooksie wrote:

N8N wrote:

That would be me. It can be seen here, click on the "54 Conestoga" for pictures.
http://public.fotki.com/-Mike -/
Only have a few hunderd miles on'em so far, but...working great. Tried a few panic stops the other day behind my house...straight and clean...great! We'll see what happens at the drag strip after I get the 299 in place!
Mike
Where did you get the information about the Wilwood/Avanti set up???

Not all situations are the same. I had some problems with Jim returning my emails about size of rotors, calipers and other technical questions with the set up. If I didn't have to use a booster I didn't want to. I don't mind fabricating stuff so because of cost and time constraints I had to go with Dave's basic kit. True, I did have to prompt him to send my stuff along but he included some bearings and seals for the delay. I sourced the fully loaded calipers and 11" slotted rotors from eBay, all new, and bought the braded stainless steel brake hoses locally. The complete set up cost me about $400. I have pushed the car hard and don't have any problems with the brakes. If it was a V8 the added weight might make a difference.
I know Jim's stuff looks show quality but all I needed were brackets and spaces that had the right specs.
I have not had a bad experience with either vendor but have heard that Dave's stuff sometimes needs cleaning up and modification to fit right. I have not had any trouble. If it's all there and will not break I can make it fit. No harm, no foul. Most of the stuff on my car will be modified to fit any way.
Wiz.

Changing the subject just a little bit. Has anyone bought his (Turner)dual master cylinder conversion for the C&K. Was it a good install? There just isn't much room down there. I had heard that you had to knotch the cross member. Malcom
I installed the dual master cylinder on a 59 Lark. Yes I had to notch out one of the frame to body members. It didn't seem to harm the body structure any.
--
Henry
"Malcom Gillette" < snipped-for-privacy@cox.net> wrote in message
I've installed Jim's kit on a 60 lark 2dr sedan and no notching of crossmember necessary. Only problem I had was the pin to go from the pedal to the master cylinder rod had to be turned down in order to line up correctly. I installed the sam kit on a 54 coupe, no modifications necessary. Kit fit perfectly.
blacklarkviii wrote:

That sounds like as close as one can come to an interchange from single to a split system. Do you have any photos of the conversion? What exactly did you do to the pin?
Wiz.

I had heard that the SteelTech front conversion uses a difficult to find, rare Chrysler cop car rotor. What rotor did you use, & where did you find it? -- Barry'd in Studes
58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"

text -
The front rotors came with the kit. The listing on his install page says they are for 1968 Ford Country Squire.

UPDATE NOV 08 2006 Just got an email from DL saying that he had requested Ed's address for refund and had never gotten it. Funny, I checked all his e-mail (I filed it) and no mention of this on any I have. Anyway, I sent him the requested address -- so we will wait and see if the correct refund is sent anytime soon. I will not to business with him again.
Recent EBAY feedback on this seller:
no communications frm seller, asked when shipped, did get refund & nasty emails Buyer flyersduo( 41) Nov-09-06 17:55 8057919626
very slow shipping product Buyer chapman89680( 7 ) Sep-24-06 07:11 230021699580

Site Timeline