YJ Springs in my CJ7?

Two of my buddies have upgraded their YJ's (91+) to the Rubicon Express 4" lift and their old leaf springs are just sitting around. They've offered to donate them to my CJ (whose springs are nearly parallel with the ground) and I'm wondering how well this will work. Mike, I've heard you say they are 1" longer ...does this cause problems that I need to worry about? They figure I should get about maybe 1-2" of extra lift so I can fit 31's without any chance of rubbing ...then again I'm not even sure I want to run 31x10.5" Mud Terrains with my puny and old 2.5L. Oh well, when that engine blows I'm going to do a 4.0L H/O upgrade anyways.

Thanks

griffin '85 CJ7

Reply to
griffin

LOL!

Quite the opposite to lift, YJ springs are flat to start. A stock CJ7 can fit 31x10.5 tires, a stock YJ can only fit 30" tires.

The only time I have ever heard of anyone using the YJ springs was for a spring over so the lift comes from the axle swap and the flatter springs don't move the body up too much or they give that softer 'yuppie' ride the YJ or Yuppie Jeep was known for.

YJ shackles are an inch longer to accommodate the flatter spring and allow it to reverse arch so it rides soft.

YJ springs are also wider so the mounts all need changing.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain