Opinions on YJ Suspensions

I'm looking for new springs for my 95 YJ. My primary criteria are :

  1. Must be very flexible with lots of "droop" and "stuff".
  2. Must provide a SOFT/SMOOTH ride.
  3. Should not be reasonably priced.

Lift is of comparatively little importance to me. I run the truck at the stock ride height with 31x10.5" tires and with the trackbars removed it works great for the type of light offroading that I do.

I would like to have a few opinions on the suspension systems available on the market. The smallest available lift appears to be generally 2~2.5". There are three companies that I know about: Skyjacker, Rubicon Express, Old Man Emu. If you have any comments on these or any other replacement suspension systems I would appreciate your input.

Note: I am changing out the suspension because a stock rear leaf busted a couple of years ago and the replacement 0" lift, 6 leaf, rear springs that I bought are way, WAY to stiff. It is not only uncomfortable, but actually DANGEROUS to drive this vehicle on the highway! So a soft ride is high importance to me.

Thanks, RAC

95 YJ 4.0L 31x10.5" Cooper Discovery ST's No track bars Quik'enuff swaybar disco's Trak-Lok rear Hi-Jack Straps, parts, tools....oh yeah, duct tape.
Reply to
RAC

Rubicon makes a 1.5" spring for YJs that's intended for their spring over application, but can be used as a stock replacement. Before you buy new ones you may want to try simply pulling the spring packs apart & removing one of the lower leaves.

Reply to
SoK66

I have the Old Man Emu 2.5" on my 93 YJ (30 x 9.5 BFG's) and enjoy it very much although I believe it is the most expensive of the group you mentioned. I got it because of the greasable leaf springs. Putting it on wasn't too difficult, save for the rusty bolts. You would want to drop your t-case with this.

Ride characteristics improved, more of a 'floating' than bouncing. We are driving Jeeps so "soft/smooth" is a subjective thing.

Happy Trails :-)

Reply to
jaco

I have the Rubicon express Extreme 4.5" lift. I chose this lift after mucho research indicated that the springs were some of the softest on the market, and provided excellent flex. I have not been disappointed. They are great, rides like a cadillac. I also have the bilstein shocks with it...... of course I am biased because of the components I already have, but I would recomend them to anyone. Stay away from Rancho shocks, very stiff.....even the adjustable ones..... I have talked to many jeepers who have the rubicon springs, and everyone loves them.

89 YJ 4.2L 4.5" lift

RAC wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

SOA all the way! With the spring over and 1" shackles I can flex like crazy and I got 6" of lift. If it "Should not be reasonably priced", go with a hi-steer conversion and get the 1.5" SOA springs from Rubicon. I've heard these ride like a dream. This would put you at 7.5" of lift, or nix the shackles to trim it to 6.5". I easily clear 33's with my stock packs and 1" shackles on SOA. Ride is good, handles well, wheels like mad! I've got flex pics if you are interested.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Almost forgot.. This is on 89 YJ. Running 33's on stock axles. Open front and rear. Here are some pics

Stock

done

flex pics

I've yet to see a SUA flex like mine.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Last year I put RS5000's on my 92YJ. I can feel it when I roll over a dime on flat pavement - aired down even! Only once when I went camping with a fully loaded roof rack of gear, wife/kids, and gas topped off, did I have a smooth ride. The Rancho's are two much shock for such a light rig.

bjc

Reply to
brianc

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Lets see some pics. :) Did I mention that I did EVERYTHING for $1500? This includes the lift, SYE, wheels, tires, and winch!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Hey Bill, maybe you can tell me, what exactly are the sway bars for, both my daughter's 95 YJ and my 81 CJ haven't had them in for a year now, we were disconncting them for trail rides before but that was a pain in ass, so out they came, and neither one of us can tell that they did anything. I imagine if pulled over and checked we would be fined and have to put them back in, but I realy don't know what they are for.

Reply to
Greg

Not Bill, but....

They tie the two front or rear wheels together to the frame from side to side to prevent body lean in a corner. And roll overs.....

Basically when the right wheel goes down. it can only go so far before it starts pulling the left wheel on the same axle down with the frame cross member as the anchor or pivot point. It starts pulling the frame down too. This makes a radical difference in the corner handling and the speed you can make a zig zag like to avoid hitting a kid that jumps out in front of you.

If the kid jumps out and you do hit or kill him and the cops inspect the rig and find no anti sway bar, you 'will' (up here in Canada at least) be charged with vehicular homicide by knowingly driving a vehicle with a major safety feature disabled.

Even in a fender bender, you will automatically be found at fault. Been there, the other person could have (almost) died, had my rig inspected by the cops and my insurance company and they (both) told me they were looking for exactly things like that and mis matched tires on a 4x4. My unit was safe so the other person was found at fault for hitting me.

Bill's 'real' Jeep was made before we knew about how easy Jeeps roll over with a bunch of football players in it, according to Nader I think it was.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

I'll post some more flex pics when I get a chance. SOA flex is CRAZY. Yes, $1500 is a heck of a deal. I have everything itemized w/receipts if you are interested in exactly what I bought. This includes the new perches, all new hardware, ect.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks, will tell daughter to get her's back in, mine is only off road with the exception of the 10 minutes to get to off road, so I'll leave mine out.

Reply to
Greg

Or you could get/make a set of quick disconnects.

Reply to
BillyRay