Rubicon Express lift, tires, etc.

We have an '89 Jeep Wrangler that will be undergoing some modifications. First on the list is a lift, wheels, and tires-can't do one without the other:) My husband wants to do a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift with 33" tires (x11.50 or 12.50?-I can't remember) I'm concerned about the lift height-I was thinking 4" would be good, I don't want to increase the chances of rolling, but I know we need enough lift to prevent tire rub on the leaf springs. Any experiences? Also tires. I like the new Toyo Open Country M/T but from what I can find it doesn't come in a 33". He wants Super Swamper SSR's. Any suggestions?? One last question, we need a front bumper with a winch and a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier and gas can attachments. I have looked at Wilderness and Bulletproof. Bulletproof looks better but pricier and we need the whole set. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
janette

For the tires, I would have to reccomend Goodyear MT/R's. I have a set and love them.

HTH,

Carl

"janette" modifications. First on the list is a lift, wheels, and tires-can't do

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I have the BFG MTs and love them. I swear they're smoother and quieter than the A/Ts I had before. That and I air down to 9 psi when I hit the trails. I've had the sidewalls pinched a number of times and never had any issues.

I haven't used the MT/Rs before, but looked at them too. Heard they're a great tire.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

So, far, so Good for me, Eric. How many miles on the BFG'S? How have they worn? I've got about 3k on my MT/R's, still look new and still ride better than the old Goodyear RT/S's I had before. I haven't aired down much past

15psi, but I'm sure I don't go nearly as hard as you do. :-D

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
RoyJ
< My husband wants to do a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift with 33" tires (x11.50 or 12.50?-I can't remember) I'm concerned about the lift height-I was thinking 4" would be good, I don't want to increase the chances of rolling, but I know we need enough lift to prevent tire rub on the leaf springs. Any experiences? >

I've had the RE 4.5" kit on my '94 YJ since '02 and am very pleased with the performance. Great ride, excellent flex on trails and minimal sag (around

1/4" total). I've flogged it over numerous trails including Moab and the Rubicon. Nary and issue. Probably among the best YJ spring lifts out there. You can run 35's with it if you install a 1" body lift, or install TJ flares. < Also tires. Like the new Toyo Open Country M/T but from what I can find it doesn't come in a 33". He wants Super Swamper SSR's. Any suggestions??

Don't have any experience with Toyos, though one of our club members just got a set of their 37s. The SSR radials are excellent, the only knock I've ever heard on Swampers from anyone is short tread life on the older bias ply tires. I've run BFG MTs for years and have had great luck with them, only one sidewall cut that would have likely taken out anything. Excellent wear characteristics, too. The Goodyear MT/Rs are another superb choice.

Either of them are excellent. I also like Durango4x4.com products, but they're also pricy. Currie Enterprises makes an excellent bumper as well. Stay away from stuff like "Rock Crusher" and some of the cheaper stuff, total junk offshore knock offs. Warn's bumpers are somewhere in between in terms of quality, but a good value. As for the winch, you have a lot of choices. Rule of thumb, buy one rated for 2x your vehicles loaded weight. For a YJ that's 8,000 - 9,000 lb rating. I've had a Warn XD9000i on mine since '96 and it's always worked well. You need to be careful that the front bumper you buy either has a built in winch mount compatible with the winch you chose, or that the winch manufacturers YJ kit will work with the bumper. Their respective product info will usually state what goes with what.

Good luck, sounds like it'll be a really nice Jeep.

Reply to
SoK66

I bought them used ($200+old A/Ts I had for 5 -- one brand new and the other at least 90% tread). They're wearing just fine. I've only had them on since October, though.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Got mine the day before Thanksgivng. So far, I am very pleased. Will definately be buying them again.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed