YJ Transfercase vacuum switch

I have a '95 Jeep YJ and I too cannot shift into 4wd. I vacuum tested the shift motor and it seems to hold the vacuum. I changed the gear oil in it today and cleaned the shift motor, still nothing. Then i read about the vaccuum switch on the transfer case being the possible culprit and I immediately pulled the switch. The check valve ball moves, but it is very stiff and slow to return. Does anybody know how this swith is supposed the react? Also, it does seem that my Jeep stopped going into 4wd when it got cold outside, but there has not been warm enough weather yet to test that theory here. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
big95yj

RoyJ

Thanks for the help. I will do that tomorrow.

Reply to
big95yj

Ok... I don't understand.

Do you mean you physically cannot move the shifter so you cannot get into 4x4. If so no vacuum switch is going to help there......

But if the 'idiot' light just isn't turning on, then you could likely need a new switch, they fail a lot it seems.

The light has no bearing on the reality of being in 4x4 or not. Our light is stuck on so it 'thinks' it is in 4x4. My shifter say it is 'really' in 2 WD and only the 2 rear wheels spin.

Mike

big95yj wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

He's probably concerned that the front axle disconnect isn't engaging.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The 95 is a full time axle isn't it?

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Nope, the '95's got the vac disconnect. So does the '94. Other years, I cannot say, but those two are parked in the driveway. Does anyone know if the vac switch on the t/case is the same one that GM uses in the S-10's? If so, I've got a whole drawer full of 'em that I'll sell cheap.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

Ah, then he knows where to start looking. At the vacuum lines going to the front axle. Likely one is just off or one of the plastic lines has cracked or been eaten by battery acid or melted on the exhaust cross over.

Mike

Old Crow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The For '95, YJ Wrangler has the vac disconnect, the XJ Cherokee doesn't.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Quadratec has a manual disconnect under Posi Lok brand name. Bypasses the entire vacuum system. (Cable actuated). Or if your web savy you can find instruction on making your own.

-Brian '91 YJ 4.0

Reply to
Brian