re:90 wrangler prob

Checked the alternator today. I pulled the plug on the alt. and the brake idiot lite stayed on.

It seems when I hook the battery up, I hear a clicking on the firewall. Also, the wires to the left of the motor and towards the bottom of the firewall seem to be all melted?

Oh yeah,

1990 Jeep Wrangler for sale, 4.2 5 speed. Good shoes and 4x4 works great.

E-mail me it interested...

John

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
jd

Ouch!

Unfortunately that is common.

If you follow the orange wires around the engine, you will find one melted to the exhaust. Either down under behind the starter on the cross over pipe as the wires go tot he tranny and t-case or just behind the carb on the exhaust manifold.

Check the choke wire too. It shorts to the manifold by the carb and fries everything as well. Because of your backfiring issue, the choke might be the one that caused the melt down.

There are companies like painless wiring that will sell you a new harness. You can get just the engine section of harness and maybe manage to fix the melted wires under the dash where they shorted the brake warning light out or you might need the whole dash harness depending on what an inspection shows.

The click is the relay on the firewall at the end of the red battery cable not passing power on.

Be very careful if you do manage to start it. The next stage to that short is a fire.

Mike

jd wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain