2000 Kia Sephia oil loss

My wife has a 2000 Kia Sephia. Lately there has been a problem with the oil disappearing. We are constantly having to add oil to the car... depending on how much it is driven. average every 10 days. I have checked, & checked for leaks & there are none. My father in law suggested that it may be blowing oil.

Any suggestions on what I could check, replace (Maybe a bad gasket?) to get this stopped?

Reply to
Habda

Heres a few things you should check:

1) is the check engine light on, or oil light?

2) check your PCV valve and the inside of your intake manifold For large amounts of excess oil.

3) While the car is on, take a glove and run your hand around the valve cover and head of engine, any oil there will be a bad gasket.

4) is there any smoke billowing out of the exhuast pipe?

Reply to
djtorello

I came across your post about the Kia Sephia losing oil.

My Kia is experiencing the same exact thing, same Sephia 2000 model as the other guy.

Shortly after changing the oil, my car starts to make a slight clacking noise.

When driving on the highway for a while, and then getting off at an exit, as soon as I accelerate after sitting at the light, the car sounds like it's about to die, sputtering and sputtering. I then floor the gas pedal, and it barely moves, then all of a sudden BOOM, a big puff of blueish white smoke pops out of the back... but it does not backfire. Immediately following the puff, the car returns to normal.

The clacking noise gets louder, and when I check the oil, it's BONE DRY. I have to fill it up again.

There are absolutely no puddles in the driveway, and other than the puffs of smoke after getting off the highway, there's no smell of oil or smoke.

I've taken it to the mechanics 6 separate times with the same complaint, and they can't figure out what the problem is... or don't want to bother figuring out what the problem is.

It's still under it's original warrantee, and I'm completely lost, I don't know what to do.

The engine light does not come on. There is some oil around the cover of the engine, but nothing to really suggest that stuff spraying out everywhere. The mechanics did apparently replace a few valves, and it seemed to work for about 5,000 miles, then the problem came back.

Any idea what's wrong? Thanks for any help you could give me.

- Chris F

Reply to
Chris F

I too came across your post about the Kia Sephia losing oil.

My Kia is experiencing the same exact thing, same Sephia 2000 model as the rest of you. I really was of the position that because I don't do a whole lot of highway driving that this was the problem. It only seems to happen on long drives. Never on my many short stints to town.

I had my oil change in March and didn't drive the car a whole lot but yesterday it came to a head. The car started "fishbiting and backfiring" just not quite right. I went to the mechanic and put it on the diagnostic and it indicated cylinder 3 not firing correctly, car ok to drive. So since I couldn't get an appointment right away, I decided to go buy some spark plugs and have someone put them in. Replaced the spark plugs, car is worse. The oil was extremely low, I thought that perhaps they forgot to put the new oil in it when it was changed. Now I know different. I'll pass this advice on to my husband who is frantically trying to source the problem

My car is no longer under warranty, whatever that warranty covered? I did just get the timing belt changed in April, is that a cause for concern. These forums helped me a great deal a few years ago, so I would appreciate any advice ...other than get rid of that $%#% car! that anyone can offer. P.S. My car is sitting in the driveway now and will not even start after my hubby fiddled with the wiring. Also the new plugs that were put in yesterday are "wet" whatever that means. Thanks

It's still under it's original warrantee, and I'm completely lost, I don't know what to do.

The engine light does not come on. There is some oil around the cover of the engine, but nothing to really suggest that stuff spraying out everywhere. The mechanics did apparently replace a few valves, and it seemed to work for about 5,000 miles, then the problem came back.

Any idea what's wrong? Thanks for any help you could give me

Reply to
elaineg