Kia Sportage

Hi, I am about to purchase a 1999 2-wheel drive Kia Sportage(48,000miles), I just read the threads here and saw nothing mentioned about them , so I shall ask. I've read many bad reviews since putting down 4 thousand. I'm suppose to give them 2 thousand more tomorrow. I've read about problems with, windows leaking, auto locks, exhaust rotting out battery failure constantly and not starting. Reliability is important to me.What's the consensus on the group. Any info helpful. Thanks IA Martha

Reply to
Martha

I have a 2002 4x4 Sportage that i have put close to 64000 miles on. I have had problems with the heat/air blower motor twice (and twice on a Sephia I used to own...same parts maybe?), I had my first brake job at

57000 miles, and to my dismay the rotors also had to be replaced (checked online, seems to be a common problem). I just had the timing and other belts replaced (factory recommended) and the 60K mile service. On my to-do list is getting the wheel bearings repacked. The dealer says that's what is causing the bad shuddering when braking. I have also had the spare wheel gate cable replaced as well (at about 3000 miles). The passenger-side door lock used to rattle, but they fixed that at the dealer for free. Oh yeah, and somehow one of my fan blades was cracked and they gave me a good-will repair stating they have had problems with those. I had my original factory tires replaced at about 50K miles as well.

So, my advice:

Have the brakes and rotors checked, check the exhaust/ CC for noises, check the cable and latch that holds the gate w/ the spare tire, check the tread depth and condition of the tires, and definitely take it for a test drive on the highway and in the city. Also. find out if the factory services have been completed. You can usually get this info from the dealer if the seller will not give the info...which he/she should if the services have been done. This being my second Kia, I found out that having these services done makes a ton of difference in the quality and life of the vehicle. I didn't do any services on the first one (sephia) ... blew the tranny out at 90K miles and traded it in for the Sportage. In addition, not doing the services can void warranty repairs. While we are on the subject, double-check the warranty. I read somewhere that the "long-haul" warranty applies to the original owner only, but I could be mistaken. You should be able to call your local Kia dealer for clarification on this.

The service dept. here in Georgia has always been super. I always get great service from them...

Hope this helps!

Dave

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:35:33 GMT, "Martha" spewed the following information:

-------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@charter1234.net Remove the numbers to reply via email.

--------------------------------------

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Dave, I have added below, the problems I found in the epinions page:

1999 Kia Sportage

What things have gone wrong with the car?

Engine stalls.

Windows do not roll down properly.

Rear hatch does not stay up.

Muffler is frequently replaced.

Air conditioner leaks.

Driver side heats up near gas tank.

Transmission problems.

Seats are wearing out.

Does not accelerate well.

Wheel cylinder leaks.

Cruise control inoperable.

Muffler has a broken baffle.

Check Engine light came on again this morning. No telling why this time.

General comments?

Have never had so many problems with a car in my life. Since I've owned the car, I've been to the dealership over 10 times - most visits for the same problem. Of course, KIA claims it was a different problem each time - but the symptoms were the same. Each time I returned to the dealership with the same problem, I was told it was my fault - putting the wrong gas in, I replaced my gas cap, I needed a tune-up, etc.

The problems with my sensors caused my car to bog down - often on acceleration into oncoming traffic. Kia is not at all concerned with safety.

Purchasing this "cute" car was the worst, and most expensive mistake I've ever made. I will stick to American-made cars in the future.

The first year we had the car it was in the shop 11 times. The first thru the eighth time was for the check engine light. the ninth time was for the battery. the tenth time for the brakes and the eleventh time was for the battery again. And now the check engine light is on again. But even with how many times this vehicle has been in the shop KIA will still not OK a loaner car. So I have no choice, but to drive it with the check engine light on. I have no more time to give sitting at a dealership. (Buzz Post in Arlington, Texas) to have them try to fix something and it still happen again. If your even thinking of buying a KIA of any kind please re-think this has been the biggest problem car from the start of any car I have ever owned.

The flares around the wheels needed painted four times.

My air conditioner stopped working, water was leaking inside from the air conditioner.

Heater air conditioner blower motor stopped working.

The seals around the doors leak.

Cuts out.

Several sensors have went out.

Brakes went out.

Four wheel drive went out. Has not been fixed properly.

Fan belt has always made a noise.

A lot of rattles when driving.

The clutch needs to be repaired.

Mud flaps were missing.

Constant brake dust.

Throw out bearing going out.

Too numerous to go on.

General comments?

Was ripped off, will never buy another one.

The dealer will not make it right.

Have had it in for a service over 25 times and it's still not right.

The manufacturer will not make it right.

The biggest lemon out there.

This car went into the shop 2 months after I bought it. Over the past three years it's been in over 40 times!

Water is pouring out from underneath the dash from the A/C. As a result my car smells like mold.

Car often loses power while driving.

I've had just about every sensor, pipe, and belt you can think of replaced.

I bought the extended warranty, but it doesn't really cover anything.

Plastic top has expanded to be bigger than the car so it flaps in the wind on the highway.

On top of everything, I also find that many Kia dealerships are disappearing into the night. (Which is great for when you need to take it into the shop or have it towed somewhere)

Factory Radio turns itself up and down.

Center of mass and gravity are poorly positioned. It's a very tippy car w/narrow wheel base.

I'm riding the bus now while I wait for this thing to be paid off. I'm thinking about getting some old cheap reliable car in the meantime as well.

This car makes me want to kill myself.

General comments?

Stay away from Kia! It's the worst piece of crap out there and in perfect condition they're worth about $5 after you drive off the lot... and who has one in perfect condition? You're better off getting a Volvo from the 80s before you buy this headache.

Spark Plugs? My vehicle died on me and the dealer told me it was my spark plugs. I know that is not supposed to happen.

Rear Cup holder broke on first use. It was a Coke can that did it in.

Power mirrors control switch just stopped working.

Warped front disc brakes.

I can not go above 5000 rpm right now and I do not know why.

I had to replace the soft top because it kept flapping so loud it was giving me a headache.

The rear plastic window is cracking and the vehicle is not even four years old.

General comments?

When I bought the car it was great. I bought it from a local dealer who helped me with all of my problems really quickly. But, that was when I lived there. I am in the military stationed over seas and none of the dealers will honor the American Kia warranty because Kia will not respond to their inquiries. If Kia will just say that if I was in America that it would be covered then the dealers here will fix it. How's that for support for our boys overseas. So, that means I have to pay for every problem and pay a car payment at the same time. I have written Kia several times and have never received a response back. Now my Vehicle lacks power and I am afraid to go to the dealer for fear of the cost. I will never buy another Kia and don't suggest that anyone else get one either.

The manual did not tell you how to program the clock on the radio. They had two different radio's and only one was in the owner's manual.

They also told us that our Warranty was 5 years 50,000 miles. Came to find out that that was a lie also.

The fuse panel box would never close. The arm rest would never go back. These were both replaced and did the same thing about a week after replacement.

I had the power steering belt changed by the dealer. A week after that, it became hard to turn to the left or the right. Took it in to find out that they had bent my pulley when they changed the belt. Had to have the pulley replaced.

I had my brakes and rotors changed for the price of 435 dollars. That is 107 dollars a piece for the rotors.

My last and most upsetting item was I was out and about, stopped the car and it would not go into park. I had to leave my key in the car all night long because you cannot get the key out without it being in park. This is where I found out that the Warranty would not cover this item. I don't know what they thought it was because they never put my car on the rack to look it over.

The every time I went to the service department, they were rude to me.

General comments?

The only good thing about this car was it being a Convertible.

It did have a nice radio in it.

It did not have cruise control.

It had no power when driving or when taking off

Wiper pivot failure injection wiring failure transmission computer failure power door lock failure radiator failure piston/cylinder component failure.

General comments?

Unreliable!

Over $5000 in repairs needed in 13 mos!

Brake pads fell off twice. Literally fell off causing the wheels to lock up almost killing me twice.

A belt broke causing a chain reaction with all of these other things happening to my engine costing $1200 damage. Which was unforeseen.

General comments?

The thing rattles in the rain.

Makes all kinds of strange sounds, which the dealer says are normal.

This is the worst car I have ever purchased. I advise anyone who is thinking about it, don't buy a Sportage!

It may save your life, because mine almost killed me twice.

Brake pads fell off twice. Literally fell off causing the wheels to lock up almost killing me twice.

Approximately 77,000 vehicles are affected by this recall. Dealers will install spring clips to lock the connectors together. In addition, the dealers will be instructed to solder a splice in the wire harness.

Owner notification was expected to begin during December 1999/January 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Kia at 1-949-470-7000.

[NHTSA Recall No. 99V325]

Bulletins for 1999 Kia Truck Sportage 2WD L4-1998cc 2.0L DOHC MFI

Safety Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

2CMP014 FEB 00 Recall - Engine Wire Harness Connectors 1CMP007 OCT 98 Recall - Brake Pipe Clearance Inspection

General Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

2CMP010 AUG 99 Campaign - OBDII Information Label

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

2PA006B AUG 00 Paint - Codes/Cross References/Applications 2GI002R NOV 99 Keys - Duplication 2BO013 OCT 99 Spare Tire Release Cable - Freezes Up

Sportage(48,000miles), I

Reply to
Martha