Shuma steering wheel removal

Hi all,
I have a 2004 ShumaII(Spectra) and i want to remove the steering wheel in order to install a sports steering wheel. Technicians says nobody
has asked for something like that before and they are not sure how to find a way to fool the electronics about the airbag.
Has anyone tried this?
Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Remo) wrote in message

Last i remember, if your changing your steering wheel, you wont need the airbag.
In the steering column, that black shroud arround and behind the steering wheel is held on my 3 screws from the bottom, then you can remove it. Under the dash is a blue and orange connecter that looks like a Y. Thats your electronic connector for your airbag. Theres 2 of them, one on the driver side, and one on the passanger side to control each respectivly. When the car is off, and keyless, you can disconnect the plugs without the fear of the airbag engaging. which i have seen happen to a few idiots. With it disconnected, you should be fine. Grant makes the adaptors and steering wheels for Kia's too.
Thank you djtorello,
How about the airbag warning light ? Will it be continously on or flash??? I dont want that...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Remo) wrote in message

As long as one airbag is still connected, you Shouldnt have any problems. With the air bag disengaged you can pull the front of the steeringwheel off, which gives you access to the airbag, and a few screws you may need to remove.
Oh a word of advice for your safety. When you reinstall the black 2 piece column cover, Make Damn sure it aligned properly, if not the 3 screws on the bottom will not go in correctly, and can jam your steeringwheel while drivin.
It happened to me once. As i made a turn, my steering wheel locked midway into the turn, and i could not straighten it. i almost hit oncomming trafic. A quick fix for when the plastic pieces jam, is to shave about 4 mm of plastic out from the damaged edge. Dont worry, where it is cant be seen unless you take the pieces off.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (djtorello) wrote in message

He ya go, i found some pics online that may help you out a bit:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_29_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_30_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_37_full.jpg
Thanks again djtorello, those pics were very helpful. Take care...

righty tighty, lefty loosey.

flash???
Electrical tape should cover it.
;o)

flash???
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_29_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_30_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_37_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218859_37_full.jpg
Well a shuma II and a spectra are the same car, And both are Mechanicly the same as any 1998 to 2001 Sephia.
If you go on www.Cardomain.com Under kia sephia, you can see a few people who have put grant racing steering wheels on.

tt