2002 Optima Stalling...Dead

My 2002 Optima started wanting to stall at idle and now I can't start it at all. The Check Engine light did come on and removing the plastic cover revealed a good-sized hole in a hose running between the large metal units (I know, wonderful description). Taping the hose to test it didn't help not being able to start the car, though. I checked the plug wires and they look okay. Next step? Could it be the fuel filter? If so, where do I find that?

Reply to
danfowler

First step is to check for spark. Pull a plug wire while someone cranks and see if you see a sharp blue spark. If not, I would suspect the crankshaft position sensor first. There was a recall on that particular sensor, and it's not terribly difficult to replace. You need to get the code from the engine computer to really know for sure, but with the car being immobile I can see how that would be a problem unless you had it towed.

Isn't the car under warranty anyway?

Chris

Reply to
Hal

The hose (s) between the two "large metal units" clinder heads? are vacuum hoses. A hole in on of those could cause a problem.

Another hose, hooked up to the fuel rail is a fuel line. Do you smell gas?

Reply to
termin8or