2004 Kia Sorento questions

Dear all,

I recently purchased 2004 Kia Sorento EX in Long Island earlier this month. I wonder if you might be able to answer my question:

The multi-meter display attached on the ceiling displays the compass, barometer and altitude, but not the outside temperature. According to the manual, this feature is equipped on only certain models, but since mine is a fully-loaded, top-of-the-line EX trim (with luxury package), I'm think it should be equipped with this feature?

Also, I'm looking for a third-party hood protector and tow hitch - any Internet shopping suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Brian

PS: I paid $29,000 here including tax et al. - did I overpay? :(

Reply to
BK

Is the outside temp displayed on an automatic climate control head?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Since we don't have the electronic AC controls, our multi-meter gauge displays the temp as well. I believe that if you have the digital AC controls then that displays outside temp. I still don't know what the "Up" and "Down" buttons are for on our multi-meter.

Third party hood protectors are a tough proposition. We ended up having to buy a Kia brand one because we couldn't find any other. I will say that I don't really like how the Kia hood deflector is mounted, but we didn't have much choice. It was simple enough if you know how to turn a wrench and which end of a screwdriver to hold, but I don't like the little metal and plastic clips it uses.

You can get a Hidden Hitch brand class III hitch for your truck for around $125.00 (2" square receiver, 5000lbs towing capacity), but you will have to spend extra for the wiring connector. You can't just hook the trailer directly into the factory harness under the right rear corner. It doesn't carry enough voltage or can handle enough amps to power your trailer lights. There are several aftermarket adapters which will work for around $50 which will have their own dedicated power line, then you can use the factory wiring plug to provide the necessary signal to activate the trailer lights without pulling too much power from it. The whole job took about an hour to install. Last year we spent exactly $103.99 (plus $18.35 S/H and $7.28 local tax. Total = 129.62) from a place on the internet located here in Orlando called BAGE Co.

Follow the links for Round Tube hitches. I just looked and the price has gone up to $120.43.

$29k isn't too bad for a fully loaded Sorento in NY, I guess.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Thanks for your prompt reply.

On the AC console, there is an 'Ambient' button, but I think this displays the temperature INSIDE the car?

Brian

Reply to
BK

Ambient refers to outside temp.

The Altimiter *seems* to display the actual hight from sea level but you can zero it for relative values. Mine always seems to have returned to absolute values but other people have reported different results. As always, your mileage may vary. The values are displayed in 20 meter increments in Canadian Sorentos. Based on the manual's description, I take it that the American version will display in feet.

The compass works as advertised but sometime takes awhile to reorient itself. The Up/Down buttons can correct the "terrestrial deviation angle", or so the manual says.

Reply to
Tim Lapin