Kia engines

I was told by a friend who works at a machine shop rebuilding engines that Kia gets their engines from Toyota. Anyone else hear this? I was wondering if the V6 in my '05 Sportage was made by Toyota?

Bobby Rockham

The 2.9 diesel is, I believe, an Isuzu unit, wether they provide others, I do not know.

Reply to
Scraggy

Wait, KIA makes a diesel car/SUV?

Reply to
Heat Sink

About all the Sorento's sold in the UK are diesel.Visit this web site and you will see.

CardShark

Sedona MPV . I have this

Not, thankfully, in this colour. :)

Reply to
Scraggy

Cool, how's the acceleration? Is it turbo charged or whatever they do to diesels to make them a bit quicker off the line?

On that note, why the HELL did diesel go from the cheapest fuel in the US to the most expensive? Didn't that start about the early/mid 90's?

Reply to
Heat Sink

The deisel is not and United State Production Vehicle.

They are Korean Production car.

Reply to
KIAPartscom

Greetings,

I've been driving diesel pickups since '95 and I can tell you that the price for diesel fuel is cyclic. Diesel is the same as home heating oil (a.k.a. - No. 2 fuel oil) so in the winter fuel stores are shifted north for heating and the pump price climbs. In the summer diesel prices come down. This is opposite of gas prices when the winter sees less driving (and hence less of a demand for gasoline) and the summer sees more.

Now here's the rub - diesel is cheaper and easier to produce than gasoline, and doesn't have the additives that gasoline is required to have in some areas of the country. Diesel has in the past been more stable than gas prices, usually only rising 2 cents per gallon when gas moved up 8-10 censt per gallon. In the past few years, however, diesel has been pushed artificially high to keep it on par with gasoline. My conspiracy theory is that this keeps the demand for consumer grade diesel powered vehicles low because a massive increase in the number of diesel cars and light trucks on the road would stress the current diesel fuel supply system, which is much less extensive than the supply system for gasoline.

Here are some interesting diesel related facts. The current emission standards for light duty diesels (like the kind I have in my pickup) are very low, and in 2007 (and again in 2010 I believe) they will be even lower, making the standards for these diesels roughly equivalent to that of a gasoline motor of similar size and power. People who tell you that diesels pollute more are blowing more smoke at you than my truck ever will.

Another interesting fact on the price of fuel in general is that in order for gasoline to reach an average pump price of $3.00/gal. crude oil would have to be at or over $95.00 per barrel. With oil at around $68.00 per barrel, it makes me wonder just where all that money is going.

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

While the accelration, is not, shall we say, world class, the torque give masses of low-down power. Even fully loaded it pulls like a train. It is turbo'd(plus intercooler) DOHC 16v.

As to your question on price Jonathan has given you some insight. For the most part however it is a question of availabilty.

As more people use diesel, (1) there is less of what used to be almost a 'by-product' of the crude distillation process.

(1) How many diesel vehicles were there in the US until fairlt recently?(Trucks-big ones- excluded?

Reply to
Scraggy

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:39:24 +0100, Scraggy pretented somebody gave a rat's ass and spewed forth:

Yeah, from what I understand, Diesel is made when gas isn't. The producers have a choice - make gas at $3/gallon or make diesel. They've artificially inflated the price of diesel because they won't make enough of it.

Reply to
PerfectReign

"" wrote: > I was told by a friend who works at a machine shop rebuilding > engines > that Kia gets their engines from Toyota. Anyone else hear > this? I > was wondering if the V6 in my '05 Sportage was made by Toyota? > > B

Hyundai and Kia Engines (from AutoZone)

Hyundai Motor was established in 1967 by the Hyundai group. However, for a long period it was just producing cars based on the design supplied by Ford UK. The first self-developed model was the ?74 Pony, but under the guidance of Mitsubishi. Engines also came from the Japanese design, while the styling was penned by Italdesign. The car earned Hyundai the name as the biggest Korean car maker which is still unchallenged today.

The second generation Pony of 1982 marked another milestone : the first large scale export. Like the Japanese, Korean?s industry was (and still is) very export-oriented. The Pony small car, benefited by the wage advantage of Korea labours, stormed the Canadian small car market in 1983. The world started to realise the rise of another Eastern car making nation.

The first self-designed engine appeared in 1991, which signalled the "real" autonomy of R&D. Sales continued to grow in the whole 90s as model range expanded and quality improved. In 1998, Asian finanical crisis hit South Korea hard, but Hyundai took this opportunity to acquire the bankrupted Kia, further strengthening itself.

Hyundai formed strategic alliance with DaimlerChrysler and Mitsubishi in 2000 to share development cost of small cars and 4-cylinder engines. But the alliance crumpled after DaimlerChrysler pulled out in

2004.
Reply to
Reckerfox