1995 Kia Sportage head gasket

I was wondering how hard it would be to replace a head gasket on my friends Sportage? What all would I have to do to do this?

Reply to
npchevy17

What size engine? SOHC or DOHC?

If you aren't comfortable with the basics involved in replacing a head gasket, then this isn't the job to start into without live help and guidance.

Also be forewarned that if the cylinder head gasket is leaking due to overheating or the vehicle won't start because of a head gasket leaking compression, it's most likely that a cylinder head will be needed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I do have the basic knowledge of how to do it. However I havn't worked on a Kia. I was just wondering how much work I would have to put into it. And all my friend told me about the engine is that its a DOHC

Reply to
npchevy17

I think the 2.0 DOHC has a rather annoying E.G.R. pipe. I know it did in

1997 but that the EGR went away for 1998 and newer. I'm not sure about 1995, there aren't many older than 1997 around here.
Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm working on my '95 Kia Sportage Ex(DOHC) to inspect and replace the head gasket. Thermostat was acting up and I'm sure I blew the gasket and was down to 3 cylinders, burning radiator fluid. Drained oil and radiator, and then also main engine feed on the bottom driver's side from the radiator. The remnants of what was in the engine showed me some oil in the radiator fluid, which I was told by a friend that this is most likely the issue. Now I have to pull everything off to check the head gasket.

If the E.G.R. pipe is the big metal pipe mounted above the engine, which goes from the air intake and sensor assembly on the driver's side over to the intake manifold assembly, then yes, this is the case. However, would rather do this myself than pay someone $1600 to do it...San Jose, CA prices, no doubt.

Reply to
Charles_DeVault