Replacing a tire

I'm trying to replace a tire on my 2000 Sportage, but the lug nuts are way too tight to unscrew them manually. I can't get it to the shop because the tire is completely flat. How do I unscrew the lug nuts with just the manual tool they give you (without ripping an arm out of the socket)? I even tried lubricating them repeatedly, but they won't budge.

Suggestions?

Thanks, CG

Reply to
Courtney Huber

You could try a ratchet with a deep socket and see if that works. Also, you might try to tighten it, then loosen it. Sometimes that works, too. Will the tire hold air? Can you inflate it and drive to the shop? (Be careful of it blowing, though, since it's sat flat). Or, you could have a mobile tire shop come and do it on-site.

Leverage may be your key. Can you fit a long metal (hollow) pipe over the manual tool? The extra leverage will probably work for you. I've done this before, too, but using a deep socket and ratchet.

Reply to
Garth Vader