Replacing wheel lug stud -- 2004 Santa Fe

I had a nail in my tire, and a slow leak, today and I went to a tire place (Just Tires) to have the tire repaired.

It was a rear tire on my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 3.5L, all wheel drive, with

4-wheel disc brakes.

The tire place said that the threads on one of the wheel lug nuts and the lug stud itself were both "crossed". They said that meant that they could fix the flat, but they would not be able to put that one lug nut back on -- and I will need to get a new lug nut and have the lug stud replaced. I guess they don't typically do that type of work because they didn't offer to do it. They gave me the wheel lug nut and I can see that the threads are crossed or messed up. I can also see that the threads on the end of the wheel lug stud are crossed or messed up.

My question is, how big of a job is it to replace the wheel lug stud on this vehicle? Even if it is fairly easy to do, I don't think I want to do it myself. I know the lug nut and stud are cheap, and I can buy them myself at a dealership or wherever if that would help. My real question is whether this is something that I can take to any car repair place (maybe even Peps Boys), or would I be better off going to a dealership to have it fixed?

Reply to
TomR

I've not replaced one for years so you model may be different. In most cases, you hammered out the old stud, put the new on in from the back, then tightened the lug nut to pull it into place. 15 minute job that any shop can do.

Aside from not having the stud, the tire shop should have done it for you and bill another $10.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've not replaced one for years so you model may be different. In most cases, you hammered out the old stud, put the new on in from the back, then tightened the lug nut to pull it into place. 15 minute job that any shop can do.

Aside from not having the stud, the tire shop should have done it for you and bill another $10.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks. I've been watching some YouTube videos and I also took another look at my vehicle. It looks like the job will involve taking off the caliper and the rotor first, and maybe disconnect the parking brake, to get the old lug stud out. I'm sure that's no big deal for any shop that does brakes, but it's not something that I want to do myself.

When I was in Just Tires having the flat fixed, it was close to their closing time. So, maybe they thought there wouldn't be enough time to get the parts and do the job there at the same time that the flat was being fixed.

My hunch is that most places like Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc. sell the lug stud and lug nut, but I may go to a dealer to buy those just to be sure I get the correct parts.

Then I guess I'll just ask at some local places about the cost to replace the lug stud and lug nut.

Reply to
TomR

I went to a Pep Boys place near me. They knew exactly what I was talking about. They said the labor charge is $55 because they have to take the brake assembly apart to get the old lug stud out and put the new one in. And, the parts (lug stud and lug nut) cost about $10 or less total. I asked if they would have the actual part in stock and they said that they probably would, but if they didn't, they could get it the same day. So, I'm probably just going to have them do it later this week.

Reply to
TomR