Sportage: Muffler melting Floor Matt

Sounds like a blockage in the catalytic converter. This should be fixed as soon as possible in order to avoid a fire.

Reply to
DS

My son bought a used 99 Sportage. He went camping this weekend and on the way, about 50 miles into the trip the drivers side rear floor matt starting melting . This is the longest he has ever driven the car. There is a 6 inch diameter circl of melted rubber and the carprt floor carprt, below the matt is discoloured. It appears as though the muffler was throwing off some serious heat! Is this a know issue? It is a simple fix? Thanks

Nelson.

Reply to
Nelson Wilbury

On the 2001 Sportage the original muffler has a heat shield.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Nelson Wilbury

Reply to
Frank (aka) "stew"

No I had it checked out, everything appeared to be OK - heat sheild intact , no blockage in the catalytic coverter and - no rattles.

Starnge - isn't it?

Reply to
Nelson Wilbury