101 beat series boys 3-2

Hmmm, nor me!

Tim Hobbs

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:51:50 +0100, Mother < "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net>

made me spill my meths by writing:

THe EW101 has that fitted and, once the correct engine throttle range is found, it is happy trundling along with the rest of the motorway traffic. Doesn't lend itself to A roads as well though as I find I have to adjust to the speed of other cars too often and I can't sustain that "sweet spot". A modern car has the ability to add gas and accelerate promptly or brake and scrub speed, I have to try to pre-empt where I am going to be and if anything else will be trying to be in the same place at the same time :)

My only gripe on the motorway was trying to avoid the front prop chatter on downhill runs, so I'd keep a little gas on and end up catching someone up, then have to pull out into lane 2 or 3 to maintain it. I found the temp would rise above "normal" at anything over indicated 65 but it was a particularly hot day.

Foam ear plugs helped with the noise, and help with "feeling" anything untoward occurring instead of losing all indications among the rest of the cacophony in the cab.

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:42:34 +0100, Alex made me spill my meths by writing:

ISTR something about it having the legs but Land Rover didn't want it to eclipse the Range Rover or even to match it in performance. Something that later owners could rectify.

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

That would be great!

Who are LEGS? Do they have a website?

I take it the transfer gears go in my transfer box? Can you really fit em in an hour? Sounds promising!. I spent longer than that tonight trying to get my radiator out..

Would the high ratio transfer gears work in the same way that high ratio diffs do on a landy?... so would it affect the speed at which i could pull off in the 101, or the time it takes to get up to speed?

I'm not worried about pulling off, 1st and 2nd gears seem really low anyhow, but it takes me long enough to build up speed at the moment. I had trouble getting on the motorway as i could speed up quick enough (or is a lot of this due to my tuning?)

Tom

Reply to
Tom Woods

Does the Speedo go to-pot when fitting the High Ratio kit?

I can manage 60 in Morph quite happily at the mo. 65 would be nice to stay ahead of wagons. 70 would be pushing ones luck on bar grips only rated to 50 mph... Anyonw know what the Petlas are rated at?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The 101 has shorter bell housing and input shaft.

Oh that's just so familiar!

Seems you need an appointment with Doctor Davies ;-)

Note the early dizzys have weired timing compared to the later ones....

I've done new plugs and leads, new dizzy cap, colour tune, gunsons gas tested and timing set to comfy by trial and now manage 60 on the standard Ratios (which I sometime suspect may be lower still than normal Ambis being a prototype but don't know for sure)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

The main advantage of fitting an overdrive above changing the transfer box gearing is that it's very useful to have the 'regular' gearing when towing heavy loads.

Malcolm.

Reply to
balloons

True, however the 4.6 makes a real difference and the transfer gears have now made 1st gear usable again. The problem with having an overdrive is the temptation to leave it engaged (erm, as I do in my S3). This is bad news on a 101 - especially an Ambulance body!

Reply to
Mother

I haven't used the overdrive since fitting the 20" Mog wheels! Just wish I could easily remove it and put it on the camper!

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

d'oh. that was pretty obvious!. I did actually google for it, but got nothing landrover related!

It'd probably take me longer :)

Is every single bolt or nut on the 101 hidden behind something else? On my radiator for example, half the fixings are directly behind the heater pipes.. "oh no, that bolt might be undone too easily. lets put this pipe infront of it to protect it", so its an unpleasant spanner from a funny angle job rather than just a nice simple ratchet...

Oil runs down the inside of the bulkhead when my 2A goes above 55. Its like its crying.

Im not sure about the restrictors. I'll have a look in my shiny new

101 manual and see what they look like and if i can check if theyre there from outside.

Might consider the transfer stuff in the future. will see how tuning helps things first.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I knew that, but conveniently forgot about it!. I presume that these could be moved across from the existing gearbox to the other one though?

What does he charge? :)

Has he got some time in a week or 2 after ive put my new radiator in? (Applied radiators in hanley say £168 to recore it with extra bits in, so as soon as i can get mine out its going there!)

I havent even taken a plug out of mine yet. Things usually go wrong after i mess with them!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Most reasonable rates in fluid currency :-)

Baragin that.... Er..should be able to cast an eye over it.

Spark plugs need the Rover socket as a Socket set plug removoer claimed the thread on my old rangie as there ain't enough space for them. Thought it worthy of mention.

The restrictors can be checked for...Remove the air filter elbow...lift the damper...open the throttle and if you can probe through with a long screw then your restricotrs have been removed. They sit in the black plastic spacer between the carb and the inlet manifold. It's not a big job to remove them but you will need to cut a 1/2 inch or 13mm spanner in half (scarificial ritual!) in order to get them off...oh and it helps lots if you remove the centre bulkhead too

I've checked mine today which is why I now know you need to open the throttle!!!! I didn't and some sqaddies had'em away in a previous life...

:-s

As for the gearboxes to put a 5 speed one in I think you would have problems mounting the 4 speed bell housing to it (not certain!) but you would also need to strip down the input shaft too and swap that and I doubt thats a straight swap.

They can be done but I don't know how people get over the prop shaft angles if they mount the box further back.

I'm also going to do the Higher ratio High ratio swap.

I't a doddle if it's anything like the transferbox on the IIa whan I rebuilt that and really will only take an hour most of which will be spent refixing the sump plate and sealing it back on the transferbox.

Give'm a ring and get a price, I'll put one on my Christmas list.

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Yes, well worth mentioning. You could have scored a few extra points by mentioning it about 8 months ago, though (speaking from a personal point of view, that is)...

Reply to
Mother

Before you touch ANYTHING else let me know ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:44:09 +0100, "Lee_D"

enlightened us thusly:

I found this, had to grind down the end of the spark plug socket to get it to fit - the plugs are recessed in quite small holes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles