1990 RRC electric window problems

Anyone understand the mysterious operation of the electric windows on the 1990 RRC - with 'one-touch' function for the driver's window?

Symptoms: after an unspecified time the windows refuse to lift. This seems to be associated with both of the relays which lurk in the cubby box becoming very hot. If I remove them and refit when cold the windows function again. I was wondering if the 'one-touch' unit could be faulty and maybe it could be bypassed as a test.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome - especially as the weather is improving and the A/C doesn't work!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

My A/C works.......

Have a rootle around with the wiring further down, some looms had the one-touch unit as a seperate piece that plugged into loom inbetween the main loom and the switches. If it is, then you can unplug it and plug the switches directly into the loom.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Hi Alex

If I unplug the one touch unit the windows stop working, but I will see if it in turn plugs between the switches and the rest of the loom. Thanks.

It's slight academic at the moment as the seized N/S/R brake caliper made itself felt today and investigation of this has revealed that the wheel bearing is worn like a good-un.

How's F701?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Umm. I spent all b/h weekend on her, changed the front springs - one of those progressives you had snapped in 2 places! That'll teach me to use petrol springs with a 200Tdi Also new track rods/ends and new discs/pads.

Still to do: Calipers have v.dodgy seals and rusty pistons, and swivel bearings are too slack. Rear springs are now obviously saggy, as front is now higher than back! Also need all new tyres :(

Fresh dents on n/s wing and bonnet thanks to encounter with tree off-roading...... but running fine otherwise

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Some info.

AFIK Those "One Touch" window controlers, detect the end of window travel buy the sudden increase in current drawn by the then stalled motor.

If for some reason (bad connections, tired motor, stiff window?) that change in current level is not what it used to be, that could be a reason for nasty niff's and sad batteies.

Just idle thoughts.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Baxter

Thanks Dave

I'm slightly puzzled as to why both relays - the one for the back and the one for the front - get hot when only the drivers window has the one-touch function, but I agree that the trigger to stop the descent of the drivers window does seem to be load related as there are no switches associated with the window travel in the door.

By-passing the one-touch function seems to be the way forward - fewer black boxes clouding the problem.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

The joys of RR ownership!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

It's not "Load Release". It's the exact opposite, a massive overload and resulting current surge caused by the motor stalling against the end of travel.

Many window controls on other vehicles detect that to cut the power. It works at the end of full travel (up or down) also if someones head gets in the way! :)

The relays may be getting hot if they are not intended to be energised for long times (coil heating) or by a masive overload on the switched side, but more often then, the contacts weld.

You have tried "new" relays haven't you? (If not brand new, but known good working ones of the same type that are not welded in one state or the other?)

Dave B.

Reply to
G8KBV

New relays is one option yet to be tried. The removal of the RR to a place of repair - or condemnation - while the wheel bearing is contemplated has somewhat diverted me from the minor problem of window operation!

But thanks.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage