1999 Discovery Joystick

Can someone teach me how the joystick in a 1999 Discovery SE works, I am a Jeep guy and we could not get this friends Rover into the gears we wanted. If I understand correctly the vehicle is always in 4 wheel drive HI, with open differentials; meaning one front and one back wheel are turning at freeway speeds. The joystick normally is positioned on the right side and appears to be centered front to back. Also there are no extra dash lights lit up. When the joystick is moved directly left of that position it seemed to be in a "locked' and LOW gear, it climbed the dirt like it should and was positively in a LOW range with an added dash light. For the life of me I could not get the joystick to move forward or backwards from either the left or right position to select what I would of thought was HI and LOW range settings. For me right position was 4 HI with an open diff, and the left position was 4 LOW with a locked diff. Is something broken? Can the joy stick be moved in a H pattern to allow HI or LOW in an open diff, and HI or LOW with a locked diff? Would someone with a 99 owners manual be willing to email the pages to me as the owner does not have the manual. Also I should add that all of the time we tried to make shifts we were on loose dirt, with the transmission in neutral, and the Rover either stopped or very slowly rolling. Thanks for any input you can provide

Reply to
Fletcher

The "joystick" should move forwards/backwards/left/right with no gate. The gearing is :

back/right - high ratio / open diff back left - high ratio / locked diff front left - low ratio / locked diff front right - high ratio / open diff middle left or right - neutral

The vehicle is permanent 4-wheel drive.

If it won't go forwards or back then yes there is something wrong, maybe just lack of use. Try it at very slow (i.e. less than 5mph) speed. If you can't free it off then I guess a trip to the garage (shop?) is called for. If you're feeling adventurous then you might remove the central console fom inside the vehicle and have a look at the selector mechanism, maybe something has come adrift.

THT

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Hi

If its an auto I think there is an interlock so that HI to LO or LO to HI shifts when not in neutral or park are stopped.

Peter S

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Yes this is an auto transmission, but I did try it both Park and Neutral. And while in Neutral I tried it both while stopped and while rolling slowly.

Reply to
Fletcher

Thanks for that info, seems to verify what I suspected. The odd part was that left and right seemed to give different ratios which did not coincide with the shifting diagram. Any experience in removing the console? Any recommended repair manuals out there? I did not see a Haynes manual available for the Rovers.

Reply to
Fletcher

Of course you're right, Peter. Never thought it would most likely be an auto :-)

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Never done it on a Series 2 but on the older Discovery the console is only held in place with 4 screws - 2 at the front and 2 in the bottom of the cubby box between the seats. You need to remove the gear selector and transfer box levers (you know the joystick thing) both of which should just unscrew once youve prised the gaiters out of their holes.

HTH