5th gear - disco 3

Not one for moaning ususally but the disco review really got my back up. Watching the item, it just felt as if all the hard work done by GLASS etc has probably been put back years, or equally speeded up the process of banning vehicular access to rights of way. Sure you're allowed to drive on them and that should be widely known, but now alot of peoples image of 4x4 and probably LR drivers in particular will be of the one portrayed this evening. Driving down a very wet and already churned up greenlane is just what the "antis" need. Bearded bloke stated "remember, the greenlanes are shared with walkers and horses riders", i'm sure that they would be well aware of the fact if he had ploughed into either party because he was driving to fast. What a t$%t. Rant over.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I think that your remarks are very restrained!

David

Reply to
Dougal

here, here. we both thought exactly the same. after watching that and tiff (failed racing driver) needell a few weeks ago, i dont think i will be watching again.

Reply to
Richard

On or around Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:54:45 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

5th gear is a sort of failed attempt at replacing top gear when top gear was off-air for some reason. 'course, the new top gear is better, and IMHO 5th gear is a pile of crap. Vicki B-H is quite decorative, FSVO, but the whole tone of it reminds of radio 1...

and Tiff "twit" Nedell is no better. charging round some tight circuit in a small 4x4 and whinging about how it didn't have a manual 'box, obviously not got the first idea of how to drive an auto. Now, If he'd been whinging that it was a crap autobox, because (say) it didn't kick down readily enough, then I'd have taken it a bit more seriously, as it was he just came over as a plonker who couldn't drive. Much like he did in a racing car :-) I've not watched it since.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The ONLY reason for watching it, IMHO!

Met him once at Donnington Park, your description of him fits the memory I have rather well Austin. I was there as a safety official (recovery) and he looked down his nose at me as if I was a small piece of dog-poo he'd just stepped in. Wanker. All I'd done was to say "hi" as we passed! Now, IMO people like him would do well to remember that if it weren't for the masses of unpaid volunteers partaking in motorsport (from the trackside marshalls to the event safety officer) then pricks like him wouldn't have motorsport events to participate in. (The Rescue boys get paid to attend, Recovery units get something towards their fuel, the scrutineers and stewards are normally fed and accommodated but that's about it, everyone else is out of pocket to some degree!) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

You're the founder of the Tiff fan-club then...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

,snip>

Still struggling with FVSO

I remember her writing a column in the Times (lasted 2 to 3 weeks)

VBH recommended staying hard over to the left of the road when approaching a left hand bend, and to the white line when approaching a right hand bend to improve your view of the road ahead.

A correction was printed the following week, when I highlighted this to my besotted son he accused me of never liking her anyway

Reply to
GerryNutoLR

You mean "FSVO" which I take to mean "for small values of" but that doesn't make gramatical sense in the original sentence so it can't be that...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

GLASS are currently discussing a press release issue etc on this matter

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

For Some Value Of

, but thatdoesn't make sense either. How about For Someone Very Ordinary? She doesn't do a lot for me, TBH, but then again I haven't asked...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

So Tim Hobbs was, like

It's "for some values of" or "for suitable values of". If Austin had had his head on, he would have repeated the word, as in "decorative FSVO decorative", i.e. she's pretty, depending on how you define "pretty".

I know this because he used the abbreviation a few days ago and I looked it up

I still think YMMV is the best cross-over abbreviation from tech-speak to Netspeak.

Reply to
Richard Brookman