TOYOTA ECHO 2001 GEAR SHIFT in AUTO TRANS

I have changed the ATF with FINAMATIC III DexronIII spec and also the Strainer filter for my TOYOTA 2001 Model Full option. But after 2 days the Gear shift was sticky. I cud not drive more than 105 kmph. Engine acceleration was more than 3000 rpm. Normally at 2750 I get 120 kmph or above. IS there any prob with the ATF fluid. Since the Toyota owners Manual says USE ONLY TOYOTA ATF. T-IV only to avoid damage to the transmission. Pl advise as i am facing driving problems due to sudden shift and loss of speed.

Thanks

Laxmikant

Reply to
kant

Dexron II is not the same as Toyota T-IV automatic transmission fluid and is the wrong substitute. Toyota T-IV is available only from Toyota dealers. Since you have mixed the wrong fluid with the factory fluid, the car now needs to go to a dealer for evaluation. If you are lucky, you would only be charged for a transmission flush. If you are not lucky, you would be charged for a new transmission.

Reply to
Ray O

Have some bad news for you, guy: You Are Screwed. ;-)

What part of "Use only Toyota T-IV Automatic Transmission fluid to avoid damage to the transmission" did you not understand? ;-O

Do you pull a Diesel car up to the fuel pumps and put Petrol in it because someone standing there you don't know says "It'll work"?

T-IV is a synthetic ATF, and nobody has produced an acceptable substitute yet - you have to get it at the dealer or through an official parts channel.

If Fina makes a printed claim on the label of their Finamatic-III ATF container that their fluid is compatible with T-IV fluid, you can go back to them and make a damage claim, and try to get them to fix your car - but I'll bet it does not. If the parts counter man sold it to you as acceptable, the store might be liable - but they can wiggle out of that one fairly easily. ("I said no such thing.")

Like Ray said, Stop Driving The Car Now, and tow the car to a dealer, or a good transmission shop if you have no nearby dealers. They might be able to save it with a flush and refill with the right fluid, they might have to do internal repairs - up to a full rebuild. Not necessarily because of wear, but because all the seals and gaskets were damaged from the wrong fluid. They should be able to reuse all the hard parts, just clean it out and replace all the seals and gaskets.

And the next time a certain fluid is specified, listen to the instructions. They pay people good money to design the car.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

So, is this the same deal with the chipped OEM ink cartridge where they spend loads of money to "invent" something with the only purpose of forcing customers to spend outrageous money to buy from them?

I'd stop buying Toyota cars if they "invent" some type of expensive oil (and filter) that's only available from Toyota and has to be used in their "new" car.

BTW, does 05 Camry use only Toyota Oil? It says "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil or equivalent". I'd consider dump the car if it is and it's very expensive from Toyota.

ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

The company you're referring to stopped "inventing" in the early 80s. It's really funny they started using the term lately. Looking at their latest crop of calculators - *really* funny.

Reply to
FanJet

That's a whole different problem - they are selling the printers almost at cost to trick you buying their consumables, where the big profits are. The main villains in this game are Lexmark - they put a 'ink level monitor' chip in their cartridges that doesn't monitor the ink level, only count the number of copies. The cartridges often report themselves as "empty" when up to half full, since all page prints are counted the same regardless of the actual print density.

And when your not-empty cartridge has shut the printer down, Lexmark is preventing aftermarket cartridge sales and refilled/refurbished cartridges by citing the DMCA Copyright on the software embedded in the chip. You can't reset the old chip, and you can't make a new one.

A5t least with most inkjet cartridges there are simple ways to fool the cartridge reuse detection schemes.

It's a free market - Any oil maker is free to make and sell an equivalent ATF to Toyota T-IV ATF if they can certify it meets the specifications. So far, nobody has done it except for Mobil Oil, who probably makes it OEM for Toyota and Aisin-Warner. The other oil companies must not think there is enough demand for the product to make money selling it.

It looks like it's available in quarts, as well as 55-gallon drumsfor repair shops. Call around to your local auto supplies who dealwith Mobil, and see how much a 12-quart case costs. They make a supplement to "turn Dexron-III into T-IV", but I don't think that will cut it for warranty purposes.

BTW, does 05 Camry use only Toyota Oil? It says "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil or>equivalent". I'd consider dump the car if it is and it's very expensive from >Toyota. For motor oils, the "or equivalent" oils are readily available. -->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Mark Schofield

14.html

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

Dear Well Wishers Thanks for all the replies posted. It was a good piece of knowledge sharing. Thats a lesson for me ..not to fiddle with the Transmissions. This lesson is goin to be crammed to all my collegues who own toyotas,

I gave the car to toyota auth agent for service. He also suggested the same operation ..draining off complete ..and that too twice to remove all the traces of oil. Later on ..New finds....Fuel filter changed .Injectors cleaned ..also fuel pump repairs.. The work is not over yet and they have estimated a sum of 350 to 400 dollars approx.

Lets hope that I am not totally messed up ..its just a overall brushing.

Once again thanks for the info shared.

Laxmikant

Reply to
kant

No, it's fine, go ahead and fiddle - just make sure you have the right parts and know how to do it before you start. It's not like the Good Old Days of shade-tree mechanic work, where the cars were more forgiving of minor mess-ups. They wouldn't blow up, they would just refuse to run right.

Good - though one complete flush should be enough. The best and easiest way to clean it all out is with a transmission flush machine - they connect it to the transmission cooler In and Out lines, and it exchanges new fluid for old at a 1:1 ratio with the engine running, until the drained fluid runs a nice clean red. This gets the 10 quarts or so of ATF trapped inside the torque converter circulated out and changed, because they haven't put drain plugs on torque converters in several decades.

Hopefully that will take care of it. By my thinking, if they can make an "friction modifier" additive to make regular Dexron III work for T-IV applications, there can't be too much difference between the two so the seals should be okay. But while driving the car when the trans wasn't working right you might have cooked a clutch or something else important.

Think happy thoughts and knock on a lot of wood.

Why? They hardly ever clog up, unless someone's run many tanks of really crappy contaminated gas through the car.

Injector cleaning I can see. The fuel pump should be good for

150,000 miles plus (see crappy gas disclaimer above) - either it puts out the proper pressure and flow and the car runs fine, or it doesn't.

If they do all that for $400, it's not too bad at all.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman