message > >  > >I have changed the ATF with FINAMATIC III Dexro..."/>

TOYOTA ECHO 2001 GEAR SHIFT in AUTO TRANS

I have changed the ATF with FINAMATIC III DexronIII spec and also the Strainer filter for my TOYOTA 2001 Model Full option. But after 2 days
the Gear shift was sticky. I cud not drive more than 105 kmph. Engine acceleration was more than 3000 rpm. Normally at 2750 I get 120 kmph or above. IS there any prob with the ATF fluid. Since the Toyota owners Manual says USE ONLY TOYOTA ATF. T-IV only to avoid damage to the transmission. Pl advise as i am facing driving problems due to sudden shift and loss of speed.
Thanks
Laxmikant

Dexron II is not the same as Toyota T-IV automatic transmission fluid and is the wrong substitute. Toyota T-IV is available only from Toyota dealers. Since you have mixed the wrong fluid with the factory fluid, the car now needs to go to a dealer for evaluation. If you are lucky, you would only be charged for a transmission flush. If you are not lucky, you would be charged for a new transmission.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Have some bad news for you, guy: You Are Screwed. ;-)
What part of "Use only Toyota T-IV Automatic Transmission fluid to avoid damage to the transmission" did you not understand? ;-O
Do you pull a Diesel car up to the fuel pumps and put Petrol in it because someone standing there you don't know says "It'll work"?
T-IV is a synthetic ATF, and nobody has produced an acceptable substitute yet - you have to get it at the dealer or through an official parts channel.
If Fina makes a printed claim on the label of their Finamatic-III ATF container that their fluid is compatible with T-IV fluid, you can go back to them and make a damage claim, and try to get them to fix your car - but I'll bet it does not. If the parts counter man sold it to you as acceptable, the store might be liable - but they can wiggle out of that one fairly easily. ("I said no such thing.")
Like Ray said, Stop Driving The Car Now, and tow the car to a dealer, or a good transmission shop if you have no nearby dealers. They might be able to save it with a flush and refill with the right fluid, they might have to do internal repairs - up to a full rebuild. Not necessarily because of wear, but because all the seals and gaskets were damaged from the wrong fluid. They should be able to reuse all the hard parts, just clean it out and replace all the seals and gaskets.
And the next time a certain fluid is specified, listen to the instructions. They pay people good money to design the car.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

So, is this the same deal with the chipped OEM ink cartridge where they spend loads of money to "invent" something with the only purpose of forcing customers to spend outrageous money to buy from them?
I'd stop buying Toyota cars if they "invent" some type of expensive oil (and filter) that's only available from Toyota and has to be used in their "new" car.
BTW, does 05 Camry use only Toyota Oil? It says "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil or equivalent". I'd consider dump the car if it is and it's very expensive from Toyota.
ZR

The company you're referring to stopped "inventing" in the early 80s. It's really funny they started using the term lately. Looking at their latest crop of calculators - *really* funny.

That's a whole different problem - they are selling the printers almost at cost to trick you buying their consumables, where the big profits are. The main villains in this game are Lexmark - they put a 'ink level monitor' chip in their cartridges that doesn't monitor the ink level, only count the number of copies. The cartridges often report themselves as "empty" when up to half full, since all page prints are counted the same regardless of the actual print density.
And when your not-empty cartridge has shut the printer down, Lexmark is preventing aftermarket cartridge sales and refilled/refurbished cartridges by citing the DMCA Copyright on the software embedded in the chip. You can't reset the old chip, and you can't make a new one.
A5t least with most inkjet cartridges there are simple ways to fool the cartridge reuse detection schemes.

It's a free market - Any oil maker is free to make and sell an equivalent ATF to Toyota T-IV ATF if they can certify it meets the specifications. So far, nobody has done it except for Mobil Oil, who probably makes it OEM for Toyota and Aisin-Warner. The other oil companies must not think there is enough demand for the product to make money selling it.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.asp http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx
It looks like it's available in quarts, as well as 55-gallon drums for repair shops. Call around to your local auto supplies who deal with Mobil, and see how much a 12-quart case costs.
They make a supplement to "turn Dexron-III into T-IV", but I don't think that will cut it for warranty purposes.
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Transmission_Fluids_s/3.htm

For motor oils, the "or equivalent" oils are readily available.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
I think you will find that the Toyota Echo automatic transmission has a drain plug in/on the pan. So the pan doesn't need to be dropped to change the fluid. The tranny also has a screen rather than a filter. You MIGHT be lucky if you drained the fluid you put in, and then refilled with the proper Toyota fluid. Possibly even do it twice. Probably cost you $20 for enough fluid for two changes. If you aren't mechanical, have a friend do it. And try it quickly, before the tranny is totally fucked. Good luck.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Toyota-ECHO-2001-GEAR-SHIFT-AUTO-TRANS-ftopict119814.html

after reading this complete thread. I laugh when i see people say you are screwed or F**ked some people.sheesh.. I have to agree with the post above mine that says drain and refill with proper atf although i suggest the pan drop to be sure you have no debris in the pan put a fresh pan gasket and refill with proper atf see if it improves performance.drive the car for a little while to mix new fluid with old <maybe 15 minutes>then drain thru drain plug and refill again.after 25 years in the transmission industry i have seen numerous problems with fluid quality and shift quality over the wrong atf used normally NO damage will occur to lip seals when wrong atf is usedjust a shift quality problem.but you must repair the problem soon as continuing to drive with shift problems will result with some form of internal damage.

request

http://www.autoforumz.com/Toyota-ECHO-2001-GEAR-SHIFT-AUTO-TRANS-ftopict1198 14.html

"djmcreynolds1" wrote: > after reading this complete thread. I laugh when i see people > say you are > screwed or F**ked some people.sheesh.. I have to agree with > the post above > mine that says drain and refill with proper atf although i > suggest the pan > drop to be sure you have no debris in the pan put a fresh pan > gasket and > refill with proper atf see if it improves performance.drive > the car for a > little while to mix new fluid with old <maybe 15 minutes>then > drain thru > drain plug and refill again.after 25 years in the transmission > industry i > have seen numerous problems with fluid quality and shift > quality over the > wrong atf used normally NO damage will occur to lip seals when > wrong atf is > usedjust a shift quality problem.but you must repair the > problem soon as > continuing to drive with shift problems will result with some > form of > internal damage.
> message > > &nbsp;> >I have changed the ATF with FINAMATIC III DexronIII > spec and also the > &nbsp;> > Strainer filter for my TOYOTA 2001 Model Full > option. But after 2 days > &nbsp;> > the Gear shift was sticky. I cud not drive more than > 105 kmph. Engine > &nbsp;> > acceleration was more than 3000 rpm. Normally at > 2750 I get 120 kmph > &nbsp;> > or above. IS there any prob with the ATF fluid. > Since the Toyota > &nbsp;> > owners Manual says USE ONLY TOYOTA ATF. > &nbsp;> > T-IV only to avoid damage to the transmission. Pl > advise as i am > &nbsp;> > facing driving problems due to sudden shift and loss > of speed. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Thanks > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Laxmikant > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > -- > &nbsp;> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com > interface, at author's > request > &nbsp;> > Articles individually checked for conformance to > usenet standards > &nbsp;> > Topic URL: > &nbsp;> > > http://www.autoforumz.com/Toyota-ECHO-2001-GEAR-SHIFT-AUTO-TRANS-ftopict1198 > 14.html > &nbsp;> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). > Report abuse: > &nbsp;> > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pX2107 > > > >
Dear Well Wishers Thanks for all the replies posted. It was a good piece of knowledge sharing. Thats a lesson for me ..not to fiddle with the Transmissions. This lesson is goin to be crammed to all my collegues who own toyotas,
I gave the car to toyota auth agent for service. He also suggested the same operation ..draining off complete ..and that too twice to remove all the traces of oil. Later on ..New finds....Fuel filter changed .Injectors cleaned ..also fuel pump repairs.. The work is not over yet and they have estimated a sum of 350 to 400 dollars approx.
Lets hope that I am not totally messed up ..its just a overall brushing.
Once again thanks for the info shared.
Laxmikant

No, it's fine, go ahead and fiddle - just make sure you have the right parts and know how to do it before you start. It's not like the Good Old Days of shade-tree mechanic work, where the cars were more forgiving of minor mess-ups. They wouldn't blow up, they would just refuse to run right.

Good - though one complete flush should be enough. The best and easiest way to clean it all out is with a transmission flush machine - they connect it to the transmission cooler In and Out lines, and it exchanges new fluid for old at a 1:1 ratio with the engine running, until the drained fluid runs a nice clean red. This gets the 10 quarts or so of ATF trapped inside the torque converter circulated out and changed, because they haven't put drain plugs on torque converters in several decades.
Hopefully that will take care of it. By my thinking, if they can make an "friction modifier" additive to make regular Dexron III work for T-IV applications, there can't be too much difference between the two so the seals should be okay. But while driving the car when the trans wasn't working right you might have cooked a clutch or something else important.
Think happy thoughts and knock on a lot of wood.

Why? They hardly ever clog up, unless someone's run many tanks of really crappy contaminated gas through the car.

Injector cleaning I can see. The fuel pump should be good for 150,000 miles plus (see crappy gas disclaimer above) - either it puts out the proper pressure and flow and the car runs fine, or it doesn't.

If they do all that for $400, it's not too bad at all.