90 / 110 V8 Radiator.

Can anyone be kind enough to let me know where the hoses go into these rads and the width of the hoses.

Only ask as Percys Rad has sprung a leak. The Jag rad may well be repairable as it's initially just some resoldering . However I I would like to tidy up this end of the modification if the opportunity arises.

So looking into the engine bay from the bumper end the top hose fits..

and the bottom hose fits..

And they are ..... mm internal diameter.

Cheers,

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:20:25 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

erm... top hose is top right, bottom hose is bottom left. That was on a V8 rad, which you'd want, as it's a big sod. beware the fact that some rads are smaller/narrower.

diameter... erm. the normal size :-) I could measure them, but they're outside. I'd guess about 40mm, but might be 1.5" (which is about 38mm) - rubber hose specs are very old, some of 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bugger.... Tops and bottoms are on the wrong sides :-( Back to Plan B if the Rads past it's sell by date.

Still the run out to Wrexham is a pleasant one. Jag graveyard... 200 plus jags of all shapes and sizes with trees growing through them.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Perhaps not!

You originally said- > looking into the engine bay from the bumper end the top hose fits.. >

so, looking into the engine bay from the FRONT (ie. looking towards the rear), the top hose goes to the top LEFT and the bottom goes to the bottom RIGHT.

This is the opposite way round to how I'd usually describe left and right things on cars, but I think it's how you asked for the info :-)

Not beside a rad to measure at the moment, but I think Austin is pretty close with 38/40mm.

Ivor.

Reply to
Ivor Clegg

Cor.. I don't know if I should count my chickens yet.... I'll wait for a consensus .. I reckon the hoses will be a standard size being a BL product it's out of the same stable.

I can live in hope... would be nice to tidy the front end.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:04:47 +0100, Ivor Clegg enlightened us thusly:

that's the way I was, in my mind's eye, looking. 'course, they may not all be the same. Which defender variant are you looking at? The one I had came with a spare (no-good) rad, and the 2 rads it came with plus the V8 one I bought from paddock were all the way round I described: sitting in the driver's seat the top hose was on the left and the bottom hose on the right. This fitted quite well with were the hose outlets on the V8 were, too - the bottom one (pump inlet) is on the right hand side of the engine, looking forwards from the driver's seat. That was a fairly early 110 diesel originally, and ISTR the V8 rad i replaced it with was fro an early one, the main point was that it was the cheapest!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Erm...........................

How can I say this????

I'M AN IDIOT!!! (just thought I should say that before everyone else does!)

In the cold light of day, I've been out to check the 'facts' I SO confidently stated above.

I looked at 4 (yes, FOUR) V8 rads, and they are ALL as Austin describes above- from the driver's seat, top hose to top left and bottom hose to bottom right.

DOH!

I have no idea what I was thinking of when I said they were the other way round, it's not as if I haven't been looking at 2 of them at close quarters for the last few months :-)

All the rads I've got are from Range Rovers, but (must be careful here!!!), I don't recall ever seeing a Rover V8 with the hoses going any other way. Not in the older ones (3.5/3.9) anyway.

So, Lee_D, looks like I was telling you fibs. Sorry about that :-(

Must be my 'time of the month' or something :-)

Ivor.

Reply to
Ivor Clegg

Yep sounds about right. From the drivers seat the top hose is top left and bottom hose bottom right. The two I have do have a slight variation in the placing of the small bore expansion tank and manifold pipes (ie one one they are stacked vertically and on the other they are side by side - oh just like my shotguns then!)

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530