90 2.5TD Overheating

i have recently had to replace the water pump on my 2.5TD 90, and since doing so it keeps over heating. i have replaced the thermostat, and as far as i can tell i have no blocks, when i refiled the system after pump replacement, i ensured the top hose was undone, and filled until water ran from the top of the radiator.

i am also getting a great deal of pressure build up on the filler tank, even when left to go cold, when undone water is forced from the filler.

advise appreciated as always.

thanks in advance,

Andy

Reply to
andy

Sounds like head gasket has gone.

Reply to
SimonJ

would i not get other signs too? like popping from the oil filler cap, water in the oil etc?

Reply to
andy

Not necesserily - a small leak (which it must be, or the water would all be "punped" out a couple of seconds) between a cylinder and a water-way does not necessrily give any other evidence. I might be worth looking at the dip stick for evidence of the oil being a bit creamy, or for creamy gunge at the top.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, i have checked the dipstick, and it is the usual quality black, i could probably do with a change oil, same as that left on peoples drives when you visit :-)

Andy

Reply to
andy

On or around 1 Sep 2005 14:32:52 -0700, "andy" enlightened us thusly:

's not got one of those filler plugs near the top of the engine has it? some of the engines have - you could have air locks in the head area.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The head gasket can go without affecting the oil.

My car did this. It was running hot and i had lots of bubbles in the header tank. The oil was fine. The head was warped in the middle :(

This does sound similar to your problems. Hopefully it is just your head gasket thoug h - not the whole head!

Reply to
Tom Woods

OK, spent the weekend checking this over. flushed the radiator, found that the small hose from top or rad to filler tank was blocked and cleared it and refilled, very slowly ensuring no air blocks, and yes....... this seems to have fixed the overheating and pressure build up.......

i now seem to have a problem with my Viscous fan though, there seems to be no air being pulled through by the fan, and still getting very hot when cruising (if that is a term you can use with an 1988 2.5 TD defender) at high (well highish) speed. I put on an old seized viscous unit, which is definitely pulling air through and temperature staying at a steady level.

anybody know if it is possible to reg viscous units reconditioned, or do i have to fork out for a new one??

Andy

Reply to
andy

In article , andy writes

How do you DO that?

I've managed almost 70 on that M4 hill by the A46 junction, and it scared the daylights out of me. If I could I'd be delighted with overheating, but anyway it's about to get cooler round here.

What does the team think about the cost effectiveness of Kenlowe units, now Diesel's gone through the roof? Gotta be better value now, Shirley?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Kenlowe fans, or any other electric fans for that matter, are a total waste of money, IMO. All they do is allow the engine to thermally cycle continuously, instead of slowly increasing to a point of equilibrium like a viscous fan would. Oh, and where does the energy for an electric fan come from anyway? Yep, from the engine (that would otherwise be driving the viscous) but now we put it through conversion processes (mechanical > electrical > mechanical) with the resultant energy losses to heat at each conversion process. They were only a fuel saving if you compared them to an old, solid driven fan, not a properly working viscous unit! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Your right foot is going to have far more effect on economy....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In article , beamendsltd writes

It does already. Joking apart, I can't see the point of rushing about in a Landy. I didn't buy it for that.

I don't speed very much, and use 5th gear as early as practical. One of the best economies I find locally (as we have so many of them) is anticipating traffic light behaviour - even crawling up to one is much more efficient than re-starting from stationary. I also turn the vehicle round at the end of a run (while it's hot), and try to arrange my route away from home so that the beginning of any journey from cold has as much uninterrupted running as possible. In the winter I'll insulate the bonnet and may even board up the radiator a bit. Also I keep reasonably high tyre pressures, and check lubrication levels often.

I suppose I could return the spare to the back door (off the bonnet), and remove the Brownchurch, but that's getting a bit silly, and probably wouldn't have much effect, compared to the more direct things.

I don't know exactly how well she does at the moment, but the present prices aer a powerful incentive to do some careful measurement, and may even justify the re-hone/rebore (she's done 150k).

One does wonder about the durability of modern engine designs: the wife's Alhambra, 1.9 TDi VW engine is already idling mighty rough after only three years of less-than-average miileage and mild driving. I wonder how good it would be after 150k...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

That engine in our Audi A3 has done 100K without incident and is still very smooth and powerful.

That engine in our Passat has done 60K and is a bag of shit which drinks oil, puts the service light on for no reason, yet still goes like the clappers and does 45mpg.

That engine in a mates Alhambra did >100K and the only problem was a stuck turbo wastegate leading to virtually no power. Quickly fixed.

I wouldn't buy another VW in a hurry (and see Nige's thread in a similar vein), but I am seriously considering an A4/A6 with the

2.5TDi.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

The Opel (Vauxhall) Kadett (1.6, petrol) of my wife did 380000 km, and it really was driven rough, but always looked after carefully, and always driven on long distances. The clutch had been the first one, btw.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

I had the 1.6 diesel, which was the same engine with a diesel head on it (no turbo, and not the later 1.75D). It was very reliable indeed, but not fast, nor specially economical.

The Alhambra is showing signs of insufficient testing. far too much stuff on it either doesn't work properly or has failed prematurely. It's a shame as the basic concept and handling of the vehicle are both great. Right now I'm on-the-fence about having another.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig