Borg Warner 35 fails to change up

I have a Rover 3.5 V8 attached to a Borg Warner 35 auto box.

I have a problem in that the box won't change up from 2nd to 3rd! Other changes are fine.

Any ideas on the cause, or where to look (fluid levels are perfect) and selector lever can select all the other gears (D1, L and R)

I should say that this is in a Rover P5B, but hey, it's all the same mechanics!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Hi Peter, having suffered the BW35 many years ago in T/A guise (front wheel drive) and experienced the same problem, I would recommend a thorough flushing and a stripdown and deep cleaning of the full valve body. The problem will almost definitely be a stuck 2-3 upshift valve, assuming no other faults are present. If it does change up, but close to the redline, then this is normally apparent in all gears and is a seized kickdown valve. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:20:46 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

... assuming, of course, that the gearshift linkage isn't out of adjustment

:)

But I bow to Badger's much greater knowledge. I only ever had 1 BW35, that was in a V4 transit. It slipped like a bastard with not enough oil in it, ISTR...

plus it was and still is one of the few autos you can tow-start, if it's in proper working order: it has 2 oil pumps, one driven from the input and one from the output, put it in D and get up to about 20-25 MPH and it starts the engine!

Reply to
Austin Shackles