Changing a Wheel Bearing on a '96 Discovery

Hi all,

In the interests of -

a) Saving money...(!) b) Learning something / adding another "I can do that" to my CV..

..could someone tell me if changing the N/S/F wheel bearing on a '96 Discovery is within the capacity of someone who can change the fluids/brakes on their Discovery and classes themselves with having a bit of good ol' common sense?

Any pointers/special tools greatly appreciated. Also, OEM or Genuine Land Rover parts for this..

Thanks in advance. Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

No real helpfull advice, just a few words of encouragement.... I've been changing wheel bearings on cars of various shapes and sizes since my early teens, and I'm neither a mechanic nor particularly clever. Buy a Haynes manual if there is one and read the section on wheel bearings, if that doesn't scare you off go for it....

Reply to
Sam Clayton

If Bruce can do it so can you. Until he had a land Rover, his best friend looked after anything more than checking oil and water etc. on his cars. We can afford to take ours to a garage, but Bruce decided that a machine wasn't going to beat him, fell in love with Land Rovers(re living his youth in the days of meccano sets I think) and has done everything on them since. The Haynes manual can be quite handy sometimes. £15 from Halfords.

Reply to
Nikki